starfinder 10" eq questions
Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:29 PM
1. AC Adapter - My model has a caddy of 6xAA batteries and a AC adapter plug in the EQ. Does Meade still sell this adapter? If not what are the voltage/ampheres I need in looking for a generic one to fit?
2. Mount gearing... Does Meade sell upgrades for the plasticy parts?
3. The old spider vanes and secondary adjustment setup for this thing are quite annoying and I'd like to replace with something a bit more robust and easier to use.. Does meade have a replacement?
4. The little brass spinny discs in the drive seems to spin at an irregular rate and these also seem bent for some reason. Is there possibility of replacement parts I can purchase? Could this be caused by balance issues?
5. Does meade sell tube rings for this?
6. I would also like to know if Meade has a replacement mount for the pier type mount I have? I would like to have maybe a goto mount but an RA-drive tripod would work also.
Thanks for any help anyone can offer and any of this. As a sidenote I am looking at 3rd party stuff for some of this but would like to know if Meade has anything.
Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:37 PM
You could call customer support and ask, but I believe they do not. The scope is simply too far back in time and a lot of changes have taken place since then. Your best bet....really your only bet, is third party upgrades or watch for things on Cloudy Nights or Astromart.
Other than entry level scopes and the Lightbridge Dobsonians, Meade does not handle Newtonian telescopes any more.
For a good spider, you might try www.1800destiny.com. They built some nice curved vane spiders that take the spikes out of stars. I have used them on scopes all the way from 4.5 inch to 14.25 inch and they work fine. Another one is www.protostar.biz. Protostar also has light trap material for lining your tube and other things like that.
Hope this helps,
Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:43 PM
1. Don't have the old one to sell, I can understand that. They don't know if the current universal adapter will work. They don't have the voltage or amperage of the old adapter documented anywhere apparently
2. no spare parts nor do they know where to get them
3. See #2.. They don't know if the lightbridge secondary support will work because they apparently don't have them either
4. see #2
6. yes, The lx80 can hold the 10".. Oh wait, 10"sct.. The mount can hold 30-35 pounds despite the Web specs of 40 it seems..can it take my starfinder........
As I reviewed my conversation with the meade.. Still wonder if it was made I actually called. I understand not having pays for a 10 year old product, but not even knowing your own products or retaining ANY documentation regarding your older products is quite poor in my eyes....
Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:22 PM
Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:58 PM
Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:40 PM
Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:04 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users