• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thywyn

thywyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Ok here we go.. I've started using my old scope heavily recently and am wondering if Meade has the following still:

1. AC Adapter - My model has a caddy of 6xAA batteries and a AC adapter plug in the EQ. Does Meade still sell this adapter? If not what are the voltage/ampheres I need in looking for a generic one to fit?
2. Mount gearing... Does Meade sell upgrades for the plasticy parts?
3. The old spider vanes and secondary adjustment setup for this thing are quite annoying and I'd like to replace with something a bit more robust and easier to use.. Does meade have a replacement?
4. The little brass spinny discs in the drive seems to spin at an irregular rate and these also seem bent for some reason. Is there possibility of replacement parts I can purchase? Could this be caused by balance issues?
5. Does meade sell tube rings for this?
6. I would also like to know if Meade has a replacement mount for the pier type mount I have? I would like to have maybe a goto mount but an RA-drive tripod would work also.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer and any of this. As a sidenote I am looking at 3rd party stuff for some of this but would like to know if Meade has anything.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2956 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hello, and welcome to the 4M Forum!

You could call customer support and ask, but I believe they do not. The scope is simply too far back in time and a lot of changes have taken place since then. Your best bet....really your only bet, is third party upgrades or watch for things on Cloudy Nights or Astromart.

Other than entry level scopes and the Lightbridge Dobsonians, Meade does not handle Newtonian telescopes any more.

For a good spider, you might try www.1800destiny.com. They built some nice curved vane spiders that take the spikes out of stars. I have used them on scopes all the way from 4.5 inch to 14.25 inch and they work fine. Another one is www.protostar.biz. Protostar also has light trap material for lining your tube and other things like that.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 thywyn

thywyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Here's my results from meade customer service:
1. Don't have the old one to sell, I can understand that. They don't know if the current universal adapter will work. They don't have the voltage or amperage of the old adapter documented anywhere apparently
2. no spare parts nor do they know where to get them
3. See #2.. They don't know if the lightbridge secondary support will work because they apparently don't have them either
4. see #2
5. no
6. yes, The lx80 can hold the 10".. Oh wait, 10"sct.. The mount can hold 30-35 pounds despite the Web specs of 40 it seems..can it take my starfinder........

As I reviewed my conversation with the meade.. Still wonder if it was made I actually called. I understand not having pays for a 10 year old product, but not even knowing your own products or retaining ANY documentation regarding your older products is quite poor in my eyes....

#4 ed.ves.g

ed.ves.g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

a 10" star finder could be hold by an LX850 mount. how much is the weight on your OTA?

#5 thywyn

thywyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

well, my OTA with eyepiece is around 25 lbs. My camera is around 2, and a possible 1 lbs future new finder. So, no more than 30lbs that I can foresee. The LX850 seems a bit overkill in price and need for me right now. Additionally, with the customer service as it is, if I keep my mount for any extended period of time I can't depend on them even keeping documentation about their equipment around for reference purposes... :\ If I were to replace the mount I would be looking at cgem-dx, g-11, or the vixen equivalent from what I've read, but still researching.. I really just need a manual dec. EQ mount that can track RA well... I don't mind the setup without computers.. but would like the ability to add a puter later for when I get old and lazy.. lol :)

#6 ed.ves.g

ed.ves.g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

well if were talking about a 30 pounds OTA the lx 80 should hold it, the 10" SC OTA weight is 29.5 pounds, the thing would be to just to balance out the tube in RA and Dec.

#7 Kolchuga

Kolchuga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

I am using rechargeable batteries in mine, I also have a 12V motorcycle battery I use. I was lucky enough to locate and purchase two complete Magellan II systems for hand controllers, optical encoders and motors for a much better telescope now. If you go to http://eksfiles.net/author/dave/ you will find the information to integrate your starfinder to your computer, I ordered and built his DSC kit so I have object location through PC software now. The Pier in my case seems pretty good, but the key is proper balance of both the OTA and Counterweight for correct tracking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users