5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Lowry

Jim-Lowry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVermont and Switzerland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

We now know that the tip is positive - thanks to Bill I think. But does anyone know the size of the tip, or a Radio Shack designation?? I bought their 5 amp 12 volt cable, with interchangeable tips, which came with four - one should fit, right? Well, the answer is wrong. And I would prefer not to schlepp my new telescope 50 miles to the closest RS. Anyone know?? Thanks for the time. Jim

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi Jim,

I should know the size, but I cannot remember for sure. I think it is either M or N, and am leaning toward M. I believe it will be the larger of the two. The particular tip is pretty standard for other devices for 12 volt. I am thinking the other tip is for 9 volt or at least lesser voltages. I bought a Radio Shack 12 volt cord that plugs into a cigarette lighter. It came with the same tip.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Jim-Lowry

Jim-Lowry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Thanks once again Bill. I will report back as to which is correct.

#4 Jim-Lowry

Jim-Lowry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Bought the "M" and that is NOT correct. I got my monitor today, and it has the same size plug, so i can take that to RS to verify. Will report in tomorrow. Clear skies...

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hi Jim,

Did you figure out what the right one is? I am curious, since my memory does not match up with fact.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 Jim-Lowry

Jim-Lowry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

For all future LS users, look for a size "N" tip from Radio Shack. That is also the size of the Meade monitor, as well as the SkyWifi from Orion. I ordered a three way pig curl cable so that one cable from my Duracell 12V will reach to the fork, then split into three, feeding each. Less cord clutter to trip on. Yeah!! Clear skies.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users