• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hi all, I have an LX80 mount and just started to play with the electronic aligning and tracking features with a lot of frustration Posted Image. I'm sure I am doing something wrong because when starting easy alignment it slews to Vega, BUT the eyepiece end of my optical assembly is pointing at Vega. It's like it's 180 degrees off! I have it in equatorial mode, checked all the site variables like date, time, lat/long. Verified the mount starts in the North home position and the mount is assembled right, etc. If anyone has any idea what I need to look for or doing wrong I'd appreciate your thoughts.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Can you turn the scope around on the mount?....point it the other direction?

I do not have an LX 80, so I cannot tell you for sure. Wish I did have one though.....just to help you out of course and not that I would really need to do any astronomy with it! ;)

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 rtanton

rtanton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Bill, I had no idea either so I asked the experts. Here is the response from Jerry and Miguel at Meade:

If you place the OTA in the DEC side where the counterweights should be, then counterweights and the OTA are inverted in the dec saddle. The RA will be okay but the dec will be inverted so the eyepiece will be pointed to Vega not the front lens. With the OTA pointed true north the control panel should face east.

There is a function in the handbox called “reverse”,see Page 39 in the LX80 manual

Set-up – Telescope – Reverse.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, Russ!

That is really good to know!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hi Bill & Russ... thanks for replying, and I'm of course still confused. I have attached a couple of pictures of the mount for your review. I set it up inside to play with and learn the controls. It is pointed to magnetic north, as you can see I have the north arrow indicator pointing north and the electronics are on the east side of the mount as your contacts at Meade indicated. I have not tried the Az/Alt mode to see how it aligns, but I see where it would be simple to rotate the mount if required. But I don't understand how to do that in equatorial mode. I also have not tried the reverse mode in setup, but that just appears to be a way to change how the handbox keys works, but I'll give it a try and see if it changes the align routine.

I'll report back, thanx!

Attached Thumbnails

• LX80 - 1.JPG
  • LX80 - 2.JPG

#6 MG1

MG1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

I am Miguel from Mead's Engineering Department.

Your images show a correct assembly...
The Reverse Option \SETUP\TELESCOPE\ UP/DOWN affects only the manual slew.

We tried to replicate the issue here, but were not able.
We are suspecting the AudioStar Handbox with an electronic failure or in the driver boards inside the mount.

I will suggest to contact Meade's Customer Service, please address Carlos Hernandez at +1 (949) 451 -1450 ext. 5130
We are working in conjuntion with him on this. When we get your mount, we will review the mount in engineering.

Miguel,
  • KGL likes this

#7 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanx Miguel... I'll contact Carlos right after the Labor Day weekend and have a good one!

Kelly

#8 ed.ves.g

ed.ves.g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Did you already try doing a reset on the Audiostar?

#9 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Nope, but I will before I go through the hassle of boxing it up and shipping it... Thx for the suggestion!

#10 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

OK... I've looked through the manual and don't see or have overlooked how to do a reset on the Audiostar. Some help on how I do that would be appreciated?

#11 ed.ves.g

ed.ves.g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

When turning it on, press mode for menu then when set up align appears scroll up, when reset appears press enter twice.

#12 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thanks all... I did a reset and tried an alignment with successful results! Appreciate the reset suggestion, I wasn't looking forward to packing up the mount for shipment to Meade. But thank you Miguel for following the thread and suggesting the return!

Kelly

#13 ed.ves.g

ed.ves.g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hey I'm so glad this worked out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users