• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ugh336

ugh336

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

I've written in another thread about issues I've with the LS 8 concerning alignment and actually finding stars. So last night I started from scratch and by the end of the night had the scope working well enough that I could find things I wanted to see and they'd at least appear in the FOV of a 25mm EP if not in the center. I decided to Park the scope so that tonight I could start observing as soon as possible. It hasn't moved all day, been protected and should have been ready to go. I go out turn it on and ask it to slew to Saturn. The scope states that Saturn is below the horizon and will not rise until11:49am. What happened? How could it be that the scope could find objects roughly 18hrs earlier and now I'm told it's the wrong time zone. I even went into Setup and changed the setting to my time zone and it still is telling me Saturn will not rise until 10:49a. I'm thinking there is an issue with the internal clock, probably the battery that runs it is almost dead. Is there a way to change this out. I've read other posts where other users are plagued with the same issue concerning time zone responses from the telescope.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Did the scope go through its routine of communicating with satelites?
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 ugh336

ugh336

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

No it didn't. I turned it back on and it showed on the handset it was calculating and then it went to the Select Item screen. I selected Planets and then Saturn. I'd wanted to catch it so I could catch it on video. I did unplug the scope after I put it in park and was told to power down. Should I have kept it powered down but plugged in?

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

I am not sure. But, I think it needs to come up and go through its whole routine. Normally, I tell mine to park. When it does, I get a message to turn the power off, which I do. I think unplug the power and take the scope inside. When I take it back out, the next time, I try to level the scope at least by eye, then plug in my power supply and turn the scope on. (after removing the lens cover from the main scope and from the camera. The scope goes through all of its motions to fine level, North, tip, tilt, and talk to the GPS satelites to figure out its position. I think, when it talks to the satelites, that is when it figures out what time it is. I am not positive about the time thing, but I am making a guess just from watching the scope behave.

If your scope did not go through all of its routines, that might be an explanation why things went goofy.

This would be a good question for Meade Customer Support. If you are not able to call their 1-800 number, let me know and I will call them.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#5 ugh336

ugh336

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

I assumed based on the manual it wouldn't go through any of the normal routines and that as long as it was in the exact same location it would simply need to be powered up. I left the tripod in the same location and took the mount inside and then reattached the mount the next night. I never used PARK before. I didn't use it last night. The previous night just left me so frustrated I thought it best to take a night or two away from the scope.I didn't unplug until after powering it down after the power down message. Since you say you also unplug yours when parking it I guess my idea about an internal clock is wrong. Plus, the routines do include checking the time, so it's probably not like a computer that has an internal clock. That leaves me with the question what's the difference between just powering down and parking, if it still has to go through those routines? Or is it just checking to make sure it is in the same location? Either way it didn't do that when I powered it on, so something must still be awry. I don't use batteries at all, might they be required to use the PARK function when disconnecting from an outlet? I can call the number later today and see what Meade has to say.

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

I think it is probably a good idea to get some input from Customer Support. I am a bit fuzzy on the ramifications of SLEEP SCOPE and PARK SCOPE.
I may call them also.

Bill Steen

#7 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

With my permanently-mounted LX200R and LX600, I always use Park. The scope is then unplugged from the power source. I have no batteries installed. When I turn the scope back on, all it does is take a gps fix (without moving) and is then good to go. I don't think you can use the Park function if the scope is moved at all between sessions.

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks, Frank!

That would explain a lot.

Bill Steen

#9 Jim-Lowry

Jim-Lowry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVermont and Switzerland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Sounds like people are on the right track, but let me try to clarify and simplify....

SLEEP SCOPE Only use for a few hours. If you are all set up, tracking OK, but want to get a bite to eat, or wait a few hours for Saturn to rise, then you use SLEEP. The scope stops the motors, uses minimal current, and when you come out again, it catches up on siderial movement, and all is fine.

PARK SCOPE You use if you are NOT GOING TO MOVE THE SCOPE AT ALL!!! That basically means an observatory setting. Why go through alignment tomorrow if it has not moved?? But you can not "eye ball" it, bring the tripod back to same area, etc. No power is needed, you turn it OFF, and the next day you have a faster start.

SHUT DOWN You use this for all other instances. Most of us will use this ALL THE TIME. Do not turn your scope off without using SHUT DOWN. The scope assumes that it is in the standard position when it powers up, and some serious problems can occur if it has not been properly shut down. And I am talking about mechanical motion. There is also the problem of the internal computers. Think Windows on a PC. You should not just turn it off. It tries to recover, but there can be memory issues, or other.

Please..... Always SHUT DOWN unless you are sure of the consequences.

And.... by the way..... having both an LX200 and ETX 105, it seemed odd not to be able to disengage a clutch knob, and push the optical tube around for terrestial viewing. DO NOT DO THAT PLEASE!!!!! I apologise if that has been stressed here before, but it seems important enough to say again.

Clear skies to one and all.

Jim

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thanks, Jim!

Good information!

Bill Steen