5 replies to this topic

#1 mediasponge

mediasponge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Greetings, all. I'm not an avid astronomy buff, but I've had one telescope or another for many years. I am looking for info on a brass-barrel Meade refractor. There is a link to a photo of it below (behind the 500mm telephoto). The thing is, this telescope was just stolen from my backyard storage shed last nite. I am trying to dig up info on it, but there is nothing like it on the Meade website. I believe it was a 80mm or 90mm refractor similar to the Model 390 or the 80EQ-AR. It was probably made as more of a decorative unit than a serious instrument. It used to grace a corporate headquarters office in San Francisco before they went under and I bought it many moons ago. I can't find any brass barrel refractors on the Meade website. My imperfect memory wants to say it's a model 340, but there is no such thing on the website, hence this query. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon, AKA mediasponge

http://s1018.photobu...html?sort=6&o=9

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2884 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Simon,

I do not have a clue as to information on that scope. I would love to have something like that, but there is not much of a way I could ever affort to have something like that made. I did not know that Meade evey made anything like that. It saddens me that it was stolen from you.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 mediasponge

mediasponge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the sympathy. :) I finally found a proper reference on it. It appears to be a Meade model 314, most likely made in Japan by TOWA. See link:

http://www.cloudynig...290/Main/757684

Mine did not have the mount with the dual knobs, or the finder scope (missing whan I bought it), but this is the right type. Funny Meade has absolutly no visible information on it.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2884 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Probably was a special item for a few people and not really considered a money maker for the general market. I expect there were very few of them made. Seeing that scope does make me wonder what it would cost to get a smith to make me a tube for one of my refractors out of brass. It sure is pretty!
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 mediasponge

mediasponge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

According to the used price guide, this one cost $800-900 new. The conventional brother of this one was about half that, so yes, not for everybody. A more common steel tube could probably be brass plated if one wanted to pretty up their scope.

I have a much older Japanese refractor, but the Meade was more powerful, and in much better condition.

#6 mediasponge

mediasponge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

*News Flash* A week after I reported it stolen, the local PD called: They found it! :D Some petty thief was wandering the neighborhood, stealing anything he could. He was drunk, or high on something, and the Police took him away. So, I retrieved the scope at the station, with negligible damage, and it's back at home. Sometimes you get lucky. Besides, what the #^&$ was he going to do with a telescope? Sheesh. This definitely qualifies for a spot on Letterman...

Now, maybe it's time to search for a proper mount, as that was missing when I bought it. I'd take either AZ or EQ mount, but it has to fit the TOWA-made Meade scopes. See link in my 2nd post above. That's the AZ mount. Perhaps the TOWA branded scopes use the same mount? Contact me here or by PM if you think you have a mount I'd be interested in. I have the tripod, and the TOWA barrel clamp, but all parts in between were missing when I originally bought it. A finder scope might be nice too.

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users