4 replies to this topic

#1 joe1962

joe1962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hi everyone!

Today I was in an antique shop in CT and came across a DS-114 and purchased it.

My very first scope!!! I cleaned it all up and put it back together.

My question is as follows: The scope came with an older controller 35-4702-00, has LEDs on the left side of the face, no character display, can I add one of the updated controllers #495/497?

What other upgrades can I get?

Can I connect my PC to the scope?

I know this is an older scope so many items may not be available but it’s a start.

Looking forward to peering into the deep dark sky.

Thanks for the help!!!

#2 joe1962

joe1962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

hello?

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2731 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry this took so long. I looked at your post along the way to doing some other things and then forgot to go back and answer.

Most likely, you can use any of the other normal handsets with the mount...494, 495, 497. These handsets have a jack on the end of them that looks like a telephone chord. If the plug-in on your mount looks like that, a newer handset should work.....assuming that the mount works. There is also a little handset that just has arrow buttons on it called an EC. That should work if the others do. It does not track anything or really have a computer built inside it, but it can move the scope around.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 joe1962

joe1962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hi Bill

The scope has dual motors, with a basic hand controller, works fine. I just wanted to upgrade to a better hand set so I ordered a classic #497, (Telescope Warehouse on eBay), it should work just have to make sure it’s uploaded with the latest software. To make the PC link I think I need a #505 cable set? Correct?

I also purchased an eyepiece and filer set the 4000 series, (great price from Berger Brothers Photo), I must say this purchase was and eye opener, LOL.

I am toying around with everything getting into the hobby. So that soon I will get a “Big Boys” scope.

Thanks for your reply.

Joe

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2731 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi Joe,

I have one of the DS 90 refractors with the two motors. It came with a 494 handset, so I know that a 497 will work with that. I also have one of the DS 114 telescopes as well. No motors or handset for that one.....gone. No problem, it just showed up on my doorstep.

The one issue with the 114 I was given was that the mirror had become dull and needed to be recoated and most of the various screws had rusted. No problem with the rust, but the dull mirror was an issue. I sent the mirror off and got it recoated. It is not a bad scope to start out with. If you happen to get a good mirror with it, it can be a very good scope. The actual mount is good and sturdy, as long as you do not pinch your fingers when you open and close the legs.

You need to study up on collimating the mirrors. (Internal mirror alignment inside the scope) The word alignment is normally reserved for spatial alignment of the scope with the stars.

Have fun with your scope!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users