4 replies to this topic

#1 KeithC

KeithC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDubai, United Arab Emirates

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi there, I have an older RCX 400 16" on tripod and the unthinkable happened, it was knocked over as the roll off roof was rolled back. The force of the fall actual severed the Allen bolts holding the upper section of the fork and ripped out the DB9 and DB25 F/F cables culminating in the OTA and upper fork sections being separated from the main body and fork. It sustained a dent in the carbon fibre tube just visible inside the tube and a scuff on the alloy rear casing but remarkably no other noticeable damage. My first question; I need to replace the DB9 and DB25 cables therefore my question is are they standard Female/Female DB cables or unique to the scope? My second question; is there any special diagnostic software I can run to double check everything when the callers are replaced?

Your support is greatly appreciated. Keith

#2 KeithC

KeithC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

Having received zero feedback from Meade via email or to this post I investigated a little further and found that the DB cable was manufactured by SOCAL (www.so-calvalueadded.com). Excellent I thought, bypass Meade and buy direct. I sent two pictures of the damaged cable an overview of my dilemma. Low and behold I received a reply from Becky the very next day, awesome me thought. This was her reply;

Good Morning Keith,

We manufacture custom cable assemblies and in order to provide you with a quotation for this item, we would need written authorization from Meade Instruments. We do not stock any of these assemblies as they are made-to-order.

Best Regards,
Becky

If Meade won't reply to an online contact form inquiry then what chance do I have with a written authorization. Approaching it another way I replied to Becky asking if he would pass on my inquiry to her contact at Meade. That was on the 12th August. Still no reply from Meade.

Can anyone please help me get some feedback from Meade please??

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hello Keith,

I don't know anything about your RCX-400, being mostly a small scope person. I cannot help you with your particular technical problem. But, I can pass on a message to someone I know and see if we can get you the release you need.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 KeithC

KeithC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Should anyone be mildly interested in the progress so far please read on. If you have any input regarding the ensuing problem please, please, please help;

An extremely kind sole managed to buy a genuine Meade DB 25pin cable on his way through Japan of all places. Alas, the cable provide not improvement to the problems. We now have the scope unmounted and apart inside.

We found a terminal off on one of the focus motors which has solved the focusing problem.

Our focus now is on why the GPS doesn't provide accurate details and why the scope won't level itself during setup.

There appears to be a common component to both problems; a small PCB in the fork housing which receives the cable links directly for the GPS Module and Leveling Unit (ball bearing).

Has anyone on the planet ever had to replace one of these PCB's to overcome the same problem?
Has anyone in the Universe ever had this issue before?

Your assistance and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Keith

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi Keith,

I am trying to chase something down. Did you actually send an email inquiry to Meade? If so, what email address did you send it to?

Was it an email address in literature you had that came with the scope?

Thanks,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users