• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tksamac

tksamac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have not been too successful with the polar alignment on my LX600 and part of this is due to aligning the x-wedge. When centering in on Polaris and the need to manually center it with the x-wedge's alt and az knobs. My problem these are very tight so do I need to loosen anything or are the tolerances so little I need to get polaris better centered to start with. I wouldn't think you would need more than a couple of turns but I don't really have a feel for the mechanics of this device yet. A video would sure help.

Thanks

Terry McLean
  • Bluheneni likes this

#2 cgordo5

cgordo5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hi Terry,

You have to loosen the bolts in the X wedge base so that azimuth movement can be done via the knobs. Likewise, you have to loosen the bolts on the sides of the X wedge to use the latitude adjustment knobs. Use the allen wrenches for these. Once you have finished your polar alignment, retighten the bolts carefully a bit at a time so that you alignment doesn't get disturbed. The bolts don't have to be very tight.

On my X wedge, I lubricated the adjustment screws lightly and that helped them to turn more easily.

Charles

#3 tksamac

tksamac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Charles,

I ended up finding a teflon insert that made this a whole lot easier. I got it from Shannon Telescopics, http://www.shannontelescopics.com/ . They were at the Julian Starfest this weekend and had one on the spot. Since they had never done it on an LX600 before, we all worked together on the wedge and scope for a thorough fit check. I just do not like the metal on metal scrubbing idea. I got one of their trays too. All that made me alot happier.

Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users