Jump to content


Photo

Brand new StarNavigator 102 - Altitude motor doesn't move


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boadle

boadle

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Hi guys,

I'm new to the community, and to telescopes in general, so please forgive my use of terminology!

I recently purchased a StarNavigator 102 from Amazon, as a present for my girlfriend (and for me!). Tinkering around with it on the balcony one evening, I (foolishly) allowed it to slew into the fence for a few seconds. Although the impact wasn't hard - it appears to have been strong enough to stop the altitude motor from working correctly - much to my sadness.

The motor sounds like it is moving as normal, but there is no movement to the arm pivot point. I'm assuming a belt / gear has slipped out of position. I'm in the process of opening up the housing, but can't see how to open the arm.

Can anyone offer advice as to how to open it up, or should I just seal it back up and send to a proper repair expert, as it's under warranty.

I've attached some photos to show the current state of the disassembly.

Thanks in advance,

Lewis

Attached Thumbnails

  • photo (2).JPG
  • photo.JPG

  • Clupsalless likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Since you have taken the mount partially apart, it is no longer under warranty.

I am away from home and cannot get with you now to go through the mount, but will get back with you later. Short of breaking the altutude drive shaft, the mount should go back together and work. We just need to check out a few things.

It will be a couple of days until I get home. If you take the one remaining nut off the side opposite where the scopes mount ring attaches, the drive shaft will come out and you can see how things fit together. Any mechanical troubles will be right there in that top section.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
  • boadle likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 boadle

boadle

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Since you have taken the mount partially apart, it is no longer under warranty.

I am away from home and cannot get with you now to go through the mount, but will get back with you later. Short of breaking the altutude drive shaft, the mount should go back together and work. We just need to check out a few things.

It will be a couple of days until I get home. If you take the one remaining nut off the side opposite where the scopes mount ring attaches, the drive shaft will come out and you can see how things fit together. Any mechanical troubles will be right there in that top section.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen


Thanks Bill,

appreciate that. I'll take the remaining nut off if I can find a spanner big enough, and post my findings!

Regards,

Lewis

#4 boadle

boadle

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Ok so it looks like I'm back in business.

I got the remaining nut off and opened up the assembly. The horizontal gear (the one that looks like a piece of pasta) had worked it's way to the side of the housing and become deformed against it, which was causing a loss of traction. I took it off the spindle and reversed it, so that the crucial part of the gear had a full thread. This seemed to do the trick, and the rest of the day was spent putting it back together and realigning everything.

Lesson learned. The hard way.

Thanks for your time, Bill.

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi boadle!

Good to hear you got it back together. I thought about you yesterday and went looking for my Generation II mount, which is what you have, then got side tracked. As soon as I saw your post, I said "Oops!!" Did all of my spam clearing and then opened your email. I think the plastic of the worm gear should come back to form. As you can see, there is really not a lot in the area of concern. You just have to get the pieces back in the right spot.

One thing I try and remember to do is to loosen the tightening knob for the altitude shaft, when I am not using a mount, and either tie the scope in position with a string (like pointing straight up) or lower it to a resting position of some sort. This takes pressure off of the compression nut that looks like a three legged stool. The metal is a bit soft and can very slowly deform over time and sort of widen out. It can then hang up on the edges of the slots the legs fit through. I have had to pull that nut out of several mounts and file the edges down a bit to allow them to fit through again.

I have written a number of posts, way back in time, about getting inside a DS mount and doing things. The Gen II mount that you have has nearly all of the little glitches fixed. The one I do not know about is the strength of the altitude shaft. The weak spot is where the slots are made in it for the little stool nut to fit through. If the scope topples over, the shaft can break in that spot, which is the end of the mount...unless you are lucky at epoxying it back together or welding it. I only know of one shaft that was successfully repaired. If the wind comes up, get the scope out of the wind.

Have fun!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users