Primary mirror is really dirty and needs a cleaning. HELP

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2680 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I just replied to a gentleman in the Beginner's Section about the actual cleaning. It is a string with the title, DS 2130 Focuser.

Now for a few tips both before and after the cleaning process:

There are three screws around the outside of the rear end of the telescope that hold the mirror housing in place. Put a piece of tape on the plastic end of the mirror housing and another on the metal tube in a way that lets you know which screw holes line up. There can be little differences between hole positions and it is better, I think, to mark how the scope comes apart.

There are a couple of different versions of restraints to hold the mirror in place. I do not think you have the one on the short tube 114 scopes, which is a plastic ring device. I think that what you have will be a normal post type stop with a couple of screws, maybe, that hold it in place. Follow your instincts for taking these off and freeing up the mirror.

Going back is a little different than you might think. The big issue here is not to tighten the stops too tight. You want just a tiny bit of freedom. Otherwise, the mirror will be pinched and the mirror surface will be warped enough to affect the image. This warping is not permanent in that loosening things up a bit allows the mirror to go back to its normal shape. When you are dealing with something that needs to be accurate to a few millionths of an inch, like a telescope mirror surface, all kinds of little things can affect the outcome.

When you put the rubber stop back in place, push it up to the side of the mirror just enough to keep the mirror from slipping around. As you tighten the screws, which make the stop tighten down from the shiny side mirror, you want to leave a very tiny gap. I have heard some people say to leave a gap big enough to slide a business card in between the mirror and the stop. I think, if you can slide a piece of regular typing paper in between, that will work just as well.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. I will be traveling and will be away from home for a week, but should be checking the board fairly often. My responses may be a bit slower than normal.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users