11 replies to this topic

#1 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hi I need help. I have a meade etx 80at and use my canon d1100 with it. How can I use my planetary filers with the canon? Do I need another adaptor or get an external barlow lens? Im of to north norfalk soon and would like help. Thanks Andy

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hi Andy,

If you are attaching your camera directly to the scope, then you would need something like a barlow in between that you can screw your filters into. If you are holding the camera up to an eyepiece that is placed into the telescope, they you should be able to screw the filters into the eyepiece.

There are universal camera adaptors that allow you to use a T adaptor to hook your camera straight up to the telescope. You can stick an eyepiece inside and screw the filter into that, or the adaptor may have threads in its barrel that you place in the eyepiece holder.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thank you so much. I think ill look at getting a barlow. Would you know which one would be best? Cheers

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Andy,

I would just go with one of the 2X Shorty Barlows. The Meade one is part number 126. You need a short one if you are going to use it with your diagonal. I use one all the time with my long tube refractors and think it is good. You might find a better one with three or four elements, but the price is triple or more. With one of the #126 barlows, the view with an eyepiece does not seem to degrade from with just the eyepiece only. It just has more magnification.

Bill Steen

#5 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thank you Bill. Will get one.

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Andy,

I told you wrong in one way, that just occurred to me. I asked myself, "Does the 2X shorty barlow actually have threads on the end?" I got mine out and sure enough, it did not have threads. However, a filter can slide down on the inside where the eyepiece goes, then you can stick whatever you are using to hold your camera to the eyepiece holder in on top of the filter and tighten the set screw. It will still work. The filter will just be inside the barlow instead of on the end. I was then able to turn the barlow over and the filter slid out into my hand.

Bill Steen

#7 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Ok thank you Bill. I have googled this 126 and some say that it is threaded for filters?? Also would I be able to put the 126 into the rear cell chamber before I attach the camera with the t ring and t adapter? Its all a bit confusing lol.

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Andy,

No, the barlow goes into the eyepiece holder where you would normally stick an eyepiece. I think you are going to need a universal adaptor of some sort that goes into the normal eyepiece holder, then the right T adaptor for your camera to fit the universal adaptor.

I am not that familiar with the ETX series, since I personally do not have one. Can anyone else speak to this? Is there something Andy can use to put a planetary filter in front of his camera?

Andy, I am going to ask elsewhere about this as well.

Bill Steen

#9 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thank you Bill. Lucky as I was going to buy the #126. I will also keep searching google.

#10 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Bill I think I have solved the issue. I have found a universal t adapter for canon and it slides in to the eye piece socket like an eye piece. Now that with the 126 I think I should be ok. What do you think mate?

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think that just might work! You might actually have threads in the end of the adaptor as well. You probably will not know until you get it.

I got a quick reply from someone I know who told me the ETX was not originally intended for photography. You probably will not find a Meade assessory that can do what you want. He also directed me to Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX site as a source of many things about the ETX. Mostly, I think, the information is about the Mak versions of the ETX and not the refractors, but there could be some good information there for you. I do know there is an astrophotography section, but I have not looked at it.

The adaptor that you mentioned is probably your best bet for using filters, an ETX, and your camera.

Have fun with it!

Bill Steen

#12 andyuk73

andyuk73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKent UK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Bill you have been a big help. Cheers mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users