13 replies to this topic

#1 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

hi i need help with looking for a camera adapter that goes from my 52mm cannon camera to a 26mm for my telescope i have been looking everywhere but continue to fail in looking for 1 please help
Lewis Abid Lawson

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the 4M Forum!

For others who may read this, I am writing here really outside of my range of experience. I am looking up and interpreting what I am seeing on line and I may be wrong. If I am, somebody please speak up.

What you are looking for, I think, is a universal camera adaptor. It slides into the 1.25 inch eyepiece holder on your telescope, then you have to have the right T-adaptor piece to go onto it for your camera. The ones Meade normally sells are shown as on backorder at the Meade Store, but you can at least look at the two versions at www.meade.com. Click on the Meade Store, then on accessories, then astrophotography.

From what I read, there are two modes. You can use it without an eyepiece and you are simply using your telescope like a camera lens of that focal length. An eyepiece can be inserted inside the adaptor to us eyepiece projection to get more magnification. This will normally be in the range of 32mm down to 15mm.

I think I have seen other devices that can hold your camera seperately, possibly by screwing into the quarter inch threads in the camera body, then you adjust the position of the camera on a rod that is attached to your telescope to get the normal lens of your camera up to the eyepiece of your telescope.

I could not find one that your eyepiece would fit into and then attach to the lens of your camera. That would be so specific to the particular eyepiece and camera lens that it would probably have to be custom made for you in a machine shop somewhere. I am sure it could be done if you really wanted one.

I recommend that you look at the two models shown on the Meade Store to get an idea, then look around for something similar. Possibly, some store in England would have one once you see what it looks like and read the nomenclature.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
  • lewdog981 likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

so should i look for a 32mm down to 15mm universal camera adapter then ? thanks a lot for the help
Lewis Abid Lawson

#4 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

You need something like thishttp://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Accessories/125-Orion-Variable-Universal-Camera-Adapter/c/4/sc/61/p/101417.uts

And a T adapter for your canon. Not sure if there are different types for different canon models or not. Just search for t adapter and your can in model.

Terry
  • lewdog981 likes this

#5 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

thanks terry i need it in the uk that and what size t adapter will i need ? thanks again ;D
Lewis Abid Lawson

#6 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

What canon camera do you have?

#7 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

One of these may work. Just search for "canon t adapter"

#8 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

i have a a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Digital

the link-----http://www.amazon.co... powershot sx20

its 52mm though
Lewis Abid Lawson

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

The universal adaptor will fit into your 1.25 inch eyepiece holder, then the eyepiece of your choice is supposed to go inside that, generally 32mm down to 15mm focal length. Your 26 mm eyepiece has a 26 mm focal length, but the barrel diameter that goes into the telescope is 1.25 inches in diameter. The universal adaptor will have two or three set screws that you use to tighten your eyepiece inside. Then, the T adaptor for your camera (SLR type) will screw onto or into the your camera body.

If you have a camera that you cannot take the lens off of, then you will need one of the types that has a post that mounts to your telescope with a flat plate hooked to that for attaching your camera by its 1/4 inch mounting hole in the bottom. You then make adjustments to the various pieces and positions of the device to place the lens of your camera up against the eyepiece. The way this kind of things works is that it holds the camera up to the eyepiece like you would do with your hands, except that it will be a lot steadier.

Bill Steen

#10 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

sorry i take ages to get things so i will need the following

-universal
-T adaptor

and i'm in the uk and all of the Meade stuff is in the usa ;D
Lewis Abid Lawson

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Yes, that is the two things you need, if your camera is a single lens reflex where you can take the lens off.

Meade stuff is in the USA, but I think there is a Meade Europe that is a different company. (used to be part of the same company)

Unless you happen to find Meade products that a dealer has, I think they are short on these things...or at least the universal adaptor.

I hate to send you to another brand, but there are other companies that sell the same kind of thing. I don't have a specific brand in mind.

A universal adaptor for a 1.25 inch focuser is just that....universal for any scope with that size of a focuser.

The T adaptor may need to be the same brand, but I do not know for sure.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
  • lewdog981 likes this

#12 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

the lens is fixed on my camera another problem
Lewis Abid Lawson

#13 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Your going to need to find something like this from a UK vendor.

http://www.telescope...c/62/p/5338.uts

Or mount your camera on a tripod and line it up with the telescope lens and shoot that way. But you will have to readjust the alignment quite often.

I looked to see if it was possible to get an adapter that would screw into the filter adapter part of your camera's lens but apparently the screw part on the lens in not really made for a filter.

Terry
  • lewdog981 likes this

#14 lewdog981

lewdog981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

i can ues a tripod but i carn't see anything really its just black with i bit of light and that tripod would work differently would it ?? and thanks up to now
Lewis Abid Lawson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users