2 replies to this topic

#1 tranb

tranb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hello,
I have the beginner Meade telescope (D=90mm F=800mm f/8.8), an old one. Below are the pictures taken with this telescope and my Nikon D3100. I would like to purchase a (intermediate) telescope that gives clear details of Jupiter, Saturn, and nearby deep-space objects. Please advise. Thanks so much in advance!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.470227112999485.102744.100000366019477&type=1&l=581abdf377#!/media/set/?set=a.470227112999485.102744.100000366019477&type=1&l=581abdf377

#2 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

With this set of photos I'd question whether you really NEED a bigger one! I also question whether an intermediate 'scope would really give that much improvement on what you already have. I have a 127mm Maksutov, which I normally recommend but I don't think my images are better than yours, maybe marginally but that's all.

To get anything much better, you'll need to be thinking of a 5 or 6 in APO refractor (v. expensive), a 200mm Maksutov (expensive) or 12" Newtonian.

Many of the brighter DSOs are already within range of your telescope.

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

If you are wanting to take pictures with it, they do get expensive. For visual observations, with more difficulty with picture taking (even though it can be done) would be a Lightbridge. Several of the veteran people in my astronomy club use the 12 inch for deep sky visual work. Personally, I think the ten inch would be a good one to have.

If you want to get really serious about astrophotography, it really depends on how much money you want to spend. Most of the people that I know that do significant photography will use an SCT around 8 to 10 inches, depending on how portable they want it to be.

As Phillip said, an Mak Cass can be very good for photography as well as a good refractor. Both of those can also be good for planetary work.

Weight can also be a big factor, the larger the telescope the more effort and time goes into setting it up and storing it after use.

The question you ask really opens a wide door and is normally one of the more difficult ones to answer.

Tell us more about what you want to do and we can direct you a little better.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users