12 replies to this topic

#1 Potulny

Potulny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFordville ND

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have been trying to link my computer up with the LX 850 an am having no luck, I am using starry night, the program shows me to be connected but it isn't, i noticed that there is mention of using a 32 bit system and my newer laptop is 64 bit, is this the cause of my problems? And will I have to use another computer set up with 32 bit or can I load windows 7 32 bit on my current laptop? I think the processor runs in 64 bit so I'm not sure if this would work. Anyone out there had succss linking up a computer with the 850, Any ideas?

12x12 observatory ExploraDome
Meade 14" LX850 ACF
Pier tech pier
Takahashi TSA-102s triplet refractor
Meade Series 6000 80mm Apo refractor
Meade LX80 mount
JMI electronic focuser
Nikon D700 DSLR
Nikon D200DSLR
Orion StarShoot auto guider

#2 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

My LX600 is still in the sealed box but I certainly hope Meade did not design their newest scopes to use outdated, obsolete computer systems. It's bad enough that they insist on using troublesome RS232 connectors (which require an adapter for any modern computer) rather than USB. The computer I plan to use with my LX600 is 64-bit...with no serial connector.

You'd think Meade would want to embrace the 21st Century. For instance, the magnetic declination chart in their manual is undated and outdated. It is 30 years old. Magnetic declination changes over time because magnetic north moves. At my location, the declination shown is from about 1982. It is off 3 full degrees from the current declination.

#3 ahopp

ahopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

The LX850 comes with the adapter to go from USB to Serial. Keep in mind, serial is still considered the most robust connection for this type of application. Let noise and further distances.

Tony
60mm Focal (First Telescope)
Orion MiniGiant 9x63
Mallincam Xtreme EXview HAD
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L

#4 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

I cannot speak for all computer applications and such, however I can control my LX850 via SkySafari and SkyFi without a problem. No issues from the Mac, iPad or iPhone.

When doing the updates I use the Keyspan USB to serial connector. No problems at all there either.

If you are using a PC I think you have to specify the COMM port, but I am not an expert there.
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

#5 Canopo100

Canopo100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Is anyone operating LX850 with Maxlm DL? If, what's the proceduce to stablish the link? Can TheSky be used at the same time?

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Is anyone operating LX850 with Maxlm DL? If, what's the proceduce to stablish the link? Can TheSky be used at the same time?

I use mine with Maxim/DL and Thesky6. Just set TheSky to use the Meade ASCOM drivers and select "TheSky-controlled telescope" in Maxim/DL. They work well together.

#7 Canopo100

Canopo100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

I would like to understand the "complete" setup to control "all" LX850 features from a computer:

1) Is it required to have two separated RS232 cables connected to the PC; first running from the telescope main console and a second running from the StarLock ?
2) I plan to use MaxmDL + TheSky6 Serious Astronomer version. Can everything be controlled with those softwares (telescope, starlock guiding, focuser, etc) ?
3) How the software links should be done ? What are the involved drivers or plug ins to install and where ? Any sequence to by followed ?
4) What is the role of AutoStar Suite in all of this ? Is it necessry to use or could be bypassed using MaxmDL + TheSky6 ?

Thanks in advance ;)

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Only one serial cable and connection is required; it goes to the Starlock unit and the connection is passed through to the mount when using it for mount control.

Maxim/DL and TheSky6 Pro runs the mount, camera, and focuser just fine (I'm not sure what is left out in the Serious Astronomer version). Starlock guiding just happens and doesn't interact with the planetarium or camera software.

Ascom LX200GPS drivers are what I use.

Autostar Suite is for folks who don't have the software you have. You won't use it at all for normal operation. The Starlock Utility, Starlock PEC Tool, and Remote Handbox are bundled with Autostar suite and you may occasionally use those.

#9 Canopo100

Canopo100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

TheSky6 Serious Astronomer doesn't have the "remote server" function enable by which it can be linked to MaximDL through "TheSky-controlled telescope". So,I'm suck here coz Bisque is not allowing upgrade to TheSky6 Pro. Don't know if TheSky X gives a solution and if yes, which version 'serious or pro'...

Ascom LX200GPS is the driver to be selected in MaximDL in all the three boxes (telescope, guider and focuser)?
I understand that Starlock autoguiding functions are then controlled via MaximDL, is this right?

Thanks

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

You'll need to set both TheSky and Maxim/DL to POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub) and then connect POTH to the ASCOM driver. I guess you'd select that for the focuser as well.That gets rid of the Remote server issue. You won't connect Maxim/DL to the Starlock guider; it works independently.

#11 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

StarLock does not need to interface with Maxim/DL or any other software to perform - it is truly stand-alone
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#12 Canopo100

Canopo100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Glenn. I've almost same setup as you have and I would like to put you some more questions. Can you send me your email address in order not overload this forum?

#13 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Gspie@comcast.net
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users