#1 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Seriously considering the purchase of a 12" LX600 in a couple of months or so. I know many in this forum have received theirs and have had it out for a session or two (and by the way, promised a follow up review). It may be a little early to ask, but I would love to hear some opinions and observations so far. I am mainly interested in how well the "StarLock" system actually tracks in the real world, though all observations concerning the operation and functionality of the LX600 series would be important. Thanks.
  • Abracerma likes this
Russell Hurlbert

#2 johnw

johnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi, I have an LX600 in southern hemisphere. So far I have found Starlock does everything it is supposed to do - it tracks objects with high precision and puts them in dead centre of field of view. Only problem with it I have found it that ones head hits the Starlock unit when viewing thru the eyepiece. I slide my Starlock as far forward as it will go. Early days for me - but it seems really accurate. Will do a full review later. Cheers, John W.

#3 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Good news! I'm expecting mine delivered today:)
I suppose reported problems are a few individual items. I ordered mine as late as possible to, hopefully, avoid problems.

Clear skies!

#4 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Got my 12" LX600 today! Beautiful and impressive scope!

One thing though, if I swing the scope from straight down to straight up and vice versa, I hear the mirror make a small thump just when it reaches the straight up or down position.
Is that just a normal result of the inherent mechanical construction of mirrorcell/scope, or might there be something wrong?

Any other owners out there who can tell me? I did not touch the focuser before removing the transport lockscrew by the way..

Cheers

#5 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I have a 10" LX600. I don't notice a thunk when I move mine up and down. Then again, the 12" is a bigger beast. If you look through the corrector do you see anything move?

#6 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the reply johnw, I appreciate your observation.
Quattroman, I obviously can't speak for the LX600 and I would listen to those who do have one but I will tell you this. My 8" LX200GPS I bought in 2005 has always made a slight clinking sound when moving it up and down whether or not the mirror is locked. It has never been a problem for me and seems to do it only if I tilt it below the horizon and back up, or vice versa.
I hope you enjoy your scope. Looking forward to any other observations you have.
Russell Hurlbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users