#1 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Seriously considering the purchase of a 12" LX600 in a couple of months or so. I know many in this forum have received theirs and have had it out for a session or two (and by the way, promised a follow up review). It may be a little early to ask, but I would love to hear some opinions and observations so far. I am mainly interested in how well the "StarLock" system actually tracks in the real world, though all observations concerning the operation and functionality of the LX600 series would be important. Thanks.
Russell Hurlbert

#2 johnw

johnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi, I have an LX600 in southern hemisphere. So far I have found Starlock does everything it is supposed to do - it tracks objects with high precision and puts them in dead centre of field of view. Only problem with it I have found it that ones head hits the Starlock unit when viewing thru the eyepiece. I slide my Starlock as far forward as it will go. Early days for me - but it seems really accurate. Will do a full review later. Cheers, John W.

#3 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Good news! I'm expecting mine delivered today:)
I suppose reported problems are a few individual items. I ordered mine as late as possible to, hopefully, avoid problems.

Clear skies!

#4 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Got my 12" LX600 today! Beautiful and impressive scope!

One thing though, if I swing the scope from straight down to straight up and vice versa, I hear the mirror make a small thump just when it reaches the straight up or down position.
Is that just a normal result of the inherent mechanical construction of mirrorcell/scope, or might there be something wrong?

Any other owners out there who can tell me? I did not touch the focuser before removing the transport lockscrew by the way..

Cheers

#5 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I have a 10" LX600. I don't notice a thunk when I move mine up and down. Then again, the 12" is a bigger beast. If you look through the corrector do you see anything move?

#6 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the reply johnw, I appreciate your observation.
Quattroman, I obviously can't speak for the LX600 and I would listen to those who do have one but I will tell you this. My 8" LX200GPS I bought in 2005 has always made a slight clinking sound when moving it up and down whether or not the mirror is locked. It has never been a problem for me and seems to do it only if I tilt it below the horizon and back up, or vice versa.
I hope you enjoy your scope. Looking forward to any other observations you have.
Russell Hurlbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users