• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chipd

chipd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hello all, I was just given a Polaris 114 EQ-D scope last week from my nieghbor. The scope did not have any eyepieces, but I do have two cheap eyepices from a Bresser kids scope from when my kids were here at home. I know they are not good eyepieces one is 12.5mm and the other is a 20mm, so I have been checking into abtaining .965 eyepieces. I just ordered a #134 2x barlow direct from Meade yesterday and have been looking at eyepieces near the same specs as the cheap ones I have only better quality for it. The mounting system has a some vibration when focasing, but the fine adjustments work great to keep the object centered in the scope. We have have been covered in clouds and rain since she gave it to me so I have been able to do with it is look at the moon between clouds and a far light post to center up the spotting scope. I have to say that the moon looked great even with the cheapo eyepieces. I was thinking about an adapter to use 1.25 eyepieces, but have read that there could be focas issues with that setup, so if anyone has any input about that it would be great. At any rate thanks for any insight and clear skys to all.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

It is possible to buy a different piece that screws onto the focuser that takes 1.25 inch eyepieces. There are people on eBay who have stores that sell things like that. Bill Vorce at Telescope-Warehouse is one, and Emily at Telescope Parts is another. Bill Vorce goes my the name of "scopehed1" on eBay and Emily goes by "lipstickonapig." Both are good to deal with.

Bill Vorce also has a website at www.telescope-warehouse.com. I think he has contact information for a regular email on that site. If Emily has a regular website, I have not found it yet.

There are probably others, these are just the ones that come to mind that I have purchased things from myself. Send them an email with your scope information and they can probably tell you if they have one that will fit. There was a bit of a change at one time and the threads are different. They will have to match you up with the right lens holder piece. It should only cost a few dollars.

For any eyepieces you buy, I would stick with plossles for that scope if you can swing that much money. The Meade Series 4000 is what I use with my small scopes. They are 1.25 inch eyepieces. For the most part, what you can find for 0.965 inch format are limited in quality and selection.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen
  • Maillotssq likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 chipd

chipd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanky you Bill, Funny you mentioned Telescope Wharehouse as they have a 12mm Konig eyepiece in .965 that looked like a great price that I thought I could use with the #134 barlow. I was also contemplating making a ring out nylon or PVC as the focasing tube measures 1 3/8, but we no longer have a lathe at work so Telescope Wharehouse stocks them that would save me work and trying to get access to a lathe. I would also assume that the adapter ring at Telescope Wharehouse would be made of aluminium as well. Once again thank you for the info, I'll give them a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users