5 replies to this topic

#1 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Received my 10" LX600 about 3 weeks ago. Been able to get it out only twice because of weather. Did notice one issue that I am not too happy with. When turning the base manually the base "catches". Almost like some gearing is rolling over something. This only happens when turn the forks manually. Works smooth when powered up and using the hand controller.
contracted Meade. Was told that this should not be an issue because it works OK when using the hand controller. I asked for something in writing and here is what they replied...

Hello Mr. xxxxxx
As per advice by my manager and  other technician this would not be an issue with your telescope since it is working properly with the hand controller and is not affecting the performance of the telescope.

I sure hope they back this up if I have problems down the road. I guess time will tell.

All I know is if I do have problems I will be posting on several astronomy forums my displeasure.

Terry

#2 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi Terry,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having.
Could you send me a PM with your full name and contact information.

#3 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Meade has requested I ship the lower base part of the LX600 back to them. Will ship it next week. Hoping to take it out for some more testing this weekend. So far the views through the scope have been amazing.

Terry

#4 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

This is now at least a couple of the LX600s that I have heard required a return to Meade....and that is just on the forums. Mine is on the truck and should be here next week. I'm starting to get nervous about their quality control....again. I cancelled the 12" LX600 order I placed over a year ago about six months after placing it because of concerns about what was happening with Meade's newly-designed scopes and their complete lack of response to any inquiries. I hope I don't regret re-ordering one before seeing any reviews. Once set up in my observatory, I'll post my impressions of the new scope and how it compares with my current LX200R, which I will be selling as soon as the LX600 is installed.

#5 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Meade received the base part of my LX600 yesterday. Hoping they repair or replace it soon. Looks like Meade is having some financial issues that may or may not impact the return of my LX600 part. Hope things get squared away quickly. Missing some of the best night skies in months. Dang!

Terry

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2828 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

They are in the process of a merger with three other companies. I suspect the reorganization is diverting the attention of any number of people at least a little bit.
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users