#1 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi!

Just got my Lightswitch 6" ACF. It's my first telescope and I am a complete newbie to Astronomy.

Anyway, I knew before that it wouldn't be too easy to control it with my MacBook Pro Retina 15", but I just can't find a working solution that does not include some kind of MS Windows Emulation. Did anyone succeed with that in the past?

I tried Equinox Pro, but it seems I read something wrong in the Internet.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Alex, who hopes for better weather soon! :)

#2 ahopp

ahopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

TheSkyX Pro is fantastic, but, expensive for some.

Tony
60mm Focal (First Telescope)
Orion MiniGiant 9x63
Mallincam Xtreme EXview HAD
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L

#3 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Tried all available Prolific Drivers for Mac, none worked. Seems they need to incorporate "Meade" as VendorID. Anyone with an idea why Meade does not support the Mac? Market share of OSX should seems high enough now.

Anyway, guess I can't go around using Parallels and have a virtual PC just to be able to move the Telescope. Awkward but I think I'll get it working. Will update when done! :)

#4 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Drat!

Killed the LS while doing an update of the Firmware. Apparently the Batteries, fresh as they were, weren't powerful enough. Hope I can fix that with trying again with a MiniSD card based update. Got the car adapter for the scope... guess I'll update the scope in my car tomorrow. IF I can find a MiniSD card with SD Adapter tomorrow.

The LS seems to be not as easy to operate as I thought it would be. If this won't work it seems I'm going to have a very, very expensive paperweight.... :(

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Once you get past the hurdle of getting updated to the 1.6 version of the software, things will be a bit easier. The scope does well by itself then. Once you get things figured out for talking to it with AutoStar, it can move around just fine. I got it talking really well with a little net book that ran on XP, but a virus messed up the netbook's hard drive. I have not had enough need or extra time to reinstall everything after the hard drive was wiped clean. For the way I use my LS, I really do not need to talk to it from a computer.

One thing that I did was buy the Meade Power Supply. I do not use batteries any more, but intend to keep a set in the scope as a backup for kicking the electric cord loose.

Getting it to work with an Apple product is probably a different animal entirely.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Still lookimg for a miniSD card... does anone know if a 4gb microsSD in a miniSD card adapter will work?

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think that you can only use up to a 2 gb card. After that, they are high density (or whatever they call it) and the LS cannot handle that.

Bill Steen

#8 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

... hope Amazon meets their, and especially my, expectations and delivers the card tomorrow. :) Thank god for bad weather and clouds, at least until I can use the scope.... :)

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Well.........I guess that is the silver lining in the clouds!

I will have to remember that.

Bill Steen

#10 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

It's alive, it's ALIIIIVE! :)

Now the clouds can go away and open skies appear... Time to go for first light... :)

Amazing how complicated it can be to find a MiniSD card that fit's into the LS. At least if you're in hurry... :) This baby eats batteries like a 12 year old through a pack of popcorn. Does it have to be a special Powertank? Or does a portable car start battery pack and a 12v adapter for the LS do the same job?

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just about any good 12 volt power supply should work. I believe the jack is center positive. Make sure the polarity is correct before plugging in a power supply or you might fry the scope's brains. I think the Meade one is rated at 5 amps. Really light amperage ones might have a problem. I don't think I would try one with a rating less than maybe 1500 milliamps.

I bought one of the Meade supplies that plugs into a 120 volt house socket, here in the US, which I use all the time. I am not sure what it would be in Germany. I also bought a 25 foot cable that plugs into an electric socket in my car that I can run out to the scope.

I had a power tank that ended up being ruined with an ice storm and a subsequent week with no power in the house. I want to get another one of those sometime.

Bill Steen

#12 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

I bought a 15 amp hour jump start rig from Walmart that works just great. I has two cigarette lighter sockets, usb power port, a 110vac inverter outlet, air pump, and bright white light. You have to be careful as some of the inverters are not true sine wave 110vac and can fry motors. Read the instructions carefully to find out what the inverter will work with. The LS8 eats batteries too fast and needs a power tank or jump start power supply.

#13 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Right now I have the Car 12v adapter from Meade and will get a 240v to 12v Adapter from Amazon today for home use. I was looking into the battery pack (Car Starter or Powertank) because I want to be able to eventually get a bit farther away from the car and want to act against fears of emptying the car battery with the LS...

#14 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

Has anyone successfully used a SkyFi device with a Meade LS scope?

#15 rvojvoda

rvojvoda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

aoseesink,

I just ordered one yesterday. Should be here in about a week. I'll post again after I try it. Ralph.

#16 rvojvoda

rvojvoda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

To aoseesink or anyone else for that matter. I received my skyfi unit and after a few minor glitches I hooked it up to my LS8 and using SkySafari Pro it worked like a charm. For those with not a lot of experience or knowledge of the heavenly bodies I would recommend the software and the skyfi. It eliminates a lot of guessing. Ralph.

#17 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

That's great news! Thank you of the feedback! Think i'm going to get me one now...

#18 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Thanks, Ralph! That is good information!

Bill Steen

#19 rvojvoda

rvojvoda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Bill, I'm glad I was able to contribute something to the community. Ralph.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users