• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gizmo

gizmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hello folks just signed up sorry to jump straight in with a problem.

I am replacing the red dot finder and I need some longer screws does anyone know what thread those little screws are that hold the red dot one?

Thaks in advance :-)

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

They are a standard metric size. I do not remember for sure, but I think 4 mm. I would take one along to the hardware store and make a comparison.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

I replaced the ones in my finder scope with brass screws makes the scope look nice also, a few of the plastic ones had broke...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#4 telestronomy

telestronomy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

hi , i have hade a Meade LS8acf for 3 years and as yet needed any form of finder or telrad or finder scope, it self aligns every time ,what would you be using one for? Murray

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Don't know what Murray is doing, but one reason I have a right angle finder on my LS 8 is:

Even though with some projects, using the brains in an LS, if you are trying to do any number of the Astronomy League's Projects, you have to find them yourself, without the aid of any goto abilities. That is when the red dot or some other finder is necessary.

Bill Steen

#6 telestronomy

telestronomy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Murray says, i didnt know the reason you use a finder , sorry

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hi Murray (telestronomy)! I mis-read your question. I thought you were addressing Gizmo as Murray, instead of you being Murray.

You are right with your question for most things. Other than going through the Astronomy League's Urban Project where I have to look for objects without any aid from the scope, I have seen no need for either a red dot finder or the right angle finder I now have installed.

I went to the right angle finder instead of the a red dot to make it easier to find things overhead and to not have to change out batteries in the red dot when I forgot to turn it off after a session.

One time, I also found a double star that was not listed in the computer (a rather common one in Lyra) and had to go to it manually as well. This was at a star party, when someone asked me to go to that object. I had left the red dot on and the battery was completely dead. I said to myself, that is the last time for that problem!

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#8 telestronomy

telestronomy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

hi Bill , lately i have been controlling my LS8 with "skyfi" + "skysafari pro" on a "google nexus 7" android tablet", sky safari pro has hundreds of thousands stars ,dso etc,etc i use this in conjunction wit a mallincam extreme2, Murray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users