• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mcoupe2000

Mcoupe2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

Hello, I just received a LS8 as a gift. I am a complete newbie to this but was able to get some great sight for a few nights. Love it! My only question is regarding the eyepiece, the OEM is great and works for planetary view but is there a better eyepiece you would recommend? Wide angle? I understand the limitation of the telescope for deep sky objects but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 4M Community Forum!

The 4000 series plossle eyepiece that came with your scope is a nice, reasonably priced eyepiece. In truth, it and the others in the series are good enough to last a life time with care. There are certainly better ones at higher prices, but the 4000 series is very good for the price.

I have an LS 8 myself and enjoy it very much. I have a set of Meade 5000 series five and six element plossles that are definitely a step up. They have been replaced with the HD 60 eyepieces, which I assume are better. Again, these eyepieces are very good for the price. In terms of the quality of the image itself, anything beyond the HD 60 eyepieces, no mater what the brand or price, is pretty much individual opinion and price for general purpose viewing.

For wide field views, I have purchased all but one of the eyepieces in the Ultra Wide Angle Series. These have an 82 degree field of view. The three smaller ones can be used in the 1.25 inch diagonal that came with your telescope. The three larger ones are two inch eyepieces and require a two inch diagonal and the fitting that allows it to be used on the rear of your telescope.

Meade sells a 2 inch diagonal and the fitting, I think, as a set. They also have the diagonal, the fitting, and the 24mm eyepiece as a set. The smallest three in the series sell for $129 each, the next one up, the 20mm is a two inch format eyepiece that goes for $159. The 24mm by itself goes for $250 and the 30 mm goes for $300(?). I have been impressed with all of the eyepieces in this series, except for the one that is not available right now and I have had on back order for a couple of months.

Another item you might want to consider is a focal reducer. If you have one of the ACF scopes, there is not a focal reducer made specifically for that type of scope as an exact match optically, but the standard f/6.3 reducers work well enough for everyone except for those with the most refined optical tastes.

Meade also has three eyepieces that have a 100 degree field of view with 20, 14, and 9 mm focal lengths. The prices are higher than with the ultra wide eyepieces.

The HD 60 eyepieces are the ones that Meade sells that will most likely do the best with planetary views and give you the best all around performance for the price.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
  • Zeus likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mcoupe2000

Mcoupe2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

Bill, thank you so much for taking the time and helping. I am going to look into the smaller ultra wide view angle series...Rather test one before investing in a 20mm or 24 mm requiring other hardware.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Have fun!

Bill
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users