7 replies to this topic

#1 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone know the optic design of the HD 60s?
  • carpinteyropqi, wooniabop, Tambeffex and 3 others like this

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2752 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

I found two major on-line stores that called the design a plossle. My best guess is that it is an evolved form of a plossle. More elements for better control, more advanced materials, better and more integrated design of the elements. I doubt if you could pull two of the elements off and have a four element plossle. Therefore, I do not know if that term can be accurately used.

I don't know if this is a very good answer, but it is my best shot. I have thought about this quite a bit since they came out. I have held a couple in my hand in an astronomy store, but have not used one. Since I have a set of the 5000 series five and six element plossles (1.25 inch only), it is difficult for me to justify the purchase of any of the HD-60 eyepieces. I am very satisfied with what I have. But, if I were to purchase another set of general purpose eyepiece, that would be the set I would get. I would still keep my 4000 series plossles for small scopes, the HD 60s and the larger of my 5000 series plossles are really too heavy for a small, light weight rig.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

I read somewhere it was erfle, aslo read this http://www.cloudynig...25/Main/5506843...

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2752 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Could be. An Erfle is like a plossle with one or more extra lenses stuck in between the two halves of the plossle. On Wikipedia, it says that the Erfle is a logical extension of the plossle or symmetrical eyepiece.Normally, Erfles are good for longer focal lengths, but not shorter. With modern materials and computer design capabilities, it is probably semantics as to what it is. Probably would need to take one apart to see how the lenses are laid out, then pick a name.

Bill Steen

#5 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I hear you. I will probably take one apart this coming weekend and take a gander.

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2752 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Before you do that, let me see if I can get a generic side view or some sort.

I have taken MH and MA eyepiece apart before with no real trouble, but you are talking about an $80 eyepiece with an HD 60.

Bill Steen

#7 stingray

stingray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

I am new to astronomy and just got a hd 60 set on ebay and have a question.
I have never had a eyepiece that you could twist in the scope and am wondering what the perpose is for this...these didn't come with instructions and have been using with them screwed all the way in...(no black showing)

stingray

just read another post about this very same thng..never mind...:)

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2752 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

I do not have any of the HD 60s, but I do have the Meade 5000 series 5 and 6 element plossles and a set of the 82 degree Ultra Wide Angle. Both of those sets have twist up eye cups. You are supposed to be able to twist them up to the amount of cup you need. If you are an eyeglass wearer when you observe, you can twist them down to allow room for your glasses. Someone without eyeglasses can twist them up to get the amount of protection you need from side glare. Having them up can help to guide your eye to the right place, or at least it works that way for some people.

Hope this helps.

Bill Steen

By the way, for anyone interested, I have not learned any official design name that the HD 60s are based on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users