• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 astrodog12

astrodog12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I've had an LS 6" ACF for a year now and it's been great. Now, of course, I'm thinking of upgrading. Does anyone know if an LS 8" OTA can be mounted on the LS 6" mount/tripod?

#2 telestronomy

telestronomy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

you cant purchase the ls8 ota on its own , Murray

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

The LS 8 is exactly what you are talking about doing. I suspect there would be a different cradle/attachment part to fit the different diameter. The eight inch OTAs are available. I doubt if the parts for the adaptation are available. However, you might be able to send the scope to Meade for the change. On the other hand, if you watch the Meade Factory Outlet, they occasionally have a refurbished LS 8 for sale that might be reasonably close to the same price, assuming that you turn around and sell your LS 6.

Some things to remember about going to an eight inch:

The scope will most likely have a little more wiggle, due to the extra weight of the LS 8.

The eight inch scope will be able to go to higher magnification and will have more light gathering power.

The eight inch scope will have a smaller field of view, about 3/4 the size with the same eye piece.

The eight inch is a bit heavier, but not enough to have any significant effect for a person with average strength.

I have an LS 8, which I enjoy very much. However, I have had to buy a focal reducer and the two inch UWA eyepieces to get some of my favorite star clusters completely within the field of view. It would be much easier to do with an LS 6.

Which one is better depends what you want to observe and the condition of your eyes.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 astrodog12

astrodog12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the information - that helps a lot.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users