• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickjay

rickjay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi , I have a PST and thinking about a 60mm SM II, Don't know is there are any distinct advantages.Also wonder about the different filters that are available, is a wider bandwidth much better for surface detail?? Thank You, Rick
  • ClezeripLover, Neracellver, Tambeffex and 3 others like this

#2 johnw

johnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Not many replies to this topic??, so here's some thoughts. I have previosuly had a PST and changed to a Solarmax II 60mm. I have found the Solarmax II to be much better optically and better photographically. Mainly because the image is more evenly illuminated. I have also double stacked the Solarmax II and although there is more surface detail visible I don't think it is worth the extra money. It is harder to take good photographs with the double stack as the image brightness is much reduced - hence problems focusing. Also sunspots with the double stack are less prominent because of lower bandpass (0.7A compared to 0.5 A). I'd stick to the single stack Solarmax II 60mm. Having said that I have seen some really good images taken thru a PST. See review on the "Ice in space" website under equipment reviews (Part 1 and 2). Hope this helps.
  • Neracellver likes this

#3 rickjay

rickjay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Thanks John, I bought a 60mm single stacked, and still getting the hang of it. It seems the only obvious difference is a larger and slightly clearer image. The biggest problem I'm having is focusing properly. Also I can't seem to get the same detail in the image as I do with an eyepiece ( which is pretty spectacular ). The focusing problem is probably caused by old eyes, so have been moving the focusing slightly, take a image, then another shift another image etc..The helical focusing is very precise, I just need practise and clear sky. As far as sunspots are concerned, I'm also trying out different colored filters to increase the contrast. A few images are below. Enlargements are in photoshop,..Thanks again, Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• sun 4a.jpg
  • sunspot06-17-13 006m1.jpg

#4 rickjay

rickjay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi, this is the original image with no enlargement. I'm trying to get the hang of photoshop. Thanks Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• sunspot06-17-13 066m.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users