3 replies to this topic

#1 czgator

czgator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide whether I should buy a LX90 or LX200, but I am leaning towards the LX200. I have had two smaller, non-name brand scopes and I now want to get something that rocks. My main purpose in getting a telescope is to view the heavens with my kids, and try to get some pictures with my Canon 5D Mark III. If I am correct a larger aperature allows a better image, therefore I am interested in getting a 12 inch scope. Am I correct that the main drawback to the 12" LX200 would be its weight and lack of portability?

I have noticed that some have posted that there are different models of the LX200, like the LX200, LX200R, and LX200GPS, but at Meade's website there is no mention of these model differences. As I understand there should be no differences in the LX200s besides aperatures, and the fact that the 16" model comes with the Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser. Can anybody elaborate?

Also, the LX200 has a number of accessories. I would like to hear anybody's comments regarding any of them. To me the Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser and the X-Wedge would be a must for astrophotography, or am I mistaken?

As I understand from what has been written here and at other sites, that the LX200 is better for astrophotography, but is very heavy and bulky due to its obviously larger tube, but also to the tripod.

Thank you,
czgator

#2 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Before I purchased my 12" LX200, I was talking to a gentleman about it, and he mentioned, that it was quite hefty. I replied, I am pretty strong lol. Although true, it does wear on you and sometimes helps me make the decision to bring out the etx90 instead. Not too often. I can see this as problem maybe in 10 years or so, but by then maybe i will build an observatory.

So to answer your first question, yes it is big and heavy so portability may be an issue, but it is one that can be overcome by cases with wheels etc..

LX200 "classic" are inital OTA.
LX200 GPS has mirror lock
LX200R and LX200ACF are both the same, have ACF (Advanced Coma Free) optics.

LX200 GPS comes with zeroshift focuser, not sure if the ACF does but im pretty sure.

Yes, wedge with Photography unless you are okay with shorted exposures.

to me the tripod is really sturdy, with that and the weigth of the for and OTA, I dont have issues with vibrations or wind.

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#3 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Internet connection problem messed up this post. Could a moderator please delete it. Thanks
Russell Hurlbert

#4 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hello.
Yes, two great advantages of a larger aperture are more light gathering ability and better resolving power. I have an 8” LX200 GPS (by the way all these distinctions such as GPS, classic, ACF all refer to past versions, not the current version on the web site) so if you consider the area of a 12” circle, you would find about 113 square inches. Compared to my 8” at about 50. So the 12” gathers over twice as much light as the 8”. Very useful in seeing the dimmer objects and photography. You also gain resolving power which is of course the ability to separate distinct features.

Weight is a factor. Check the specs and consider the help you will have, and of course the distance you will move the scope.

I am not an expert in astrophotography (or anything else for that matter) but I can tell you that the X-Wedge is a must if you want to go beyond simple shots of the moon and such.

Consider carefully, because it is a big investment that you will live with for many years. Hopefully many wonderful years!
  • MistrBadgr likes this
Russell Hurlbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users