• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ari

ari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have a 12-inch telescope LX90 ACF, which was purchased as new a year ago.
I usually go once a month for astronomical observations.
This telescope main problem is mechanical instability.
Very slight breeze causes vibration and mechanical instability and prevent the possibility to observe through a telescope.
Also touching the focuser causes vibration of the fork and very hard reaching focus.
Questions:
1.Is this a problem that is common to such a telescope , that is 12 inch tube on lx90 fork.?
2.Is there a way to solve the problem of vibration ?.
3.Is it possible to replace the lx90 fork from lx90 to lx200?
4.Which equatorial mount could fit the 12 inch tube ?
Thanks in advance for your advice
ari

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have wondered about a twelve inch scope on the LX 90. One of the differences between the LX 90 and the LX 200 is the tripod. It would take some sort of adapter plate to put an LX 90 mount on a different tripod, but you might want to consider that.

As an experiment, you might try building a sturdy platform out of 2 X 4 boards and thick plywood. Bolt the mount onto it and see what wiggles. Some kind of pedestal setup might work as well.

I don't know if you could take the optical tube out of the LX 90 and put it into an LX 200 and not cost about the same as buying a new scope and selling your existing one.

Just thoughts.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 ari

ari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi Bill thanks for your reply.

It looks to me that the problem is with the fork. Vibration of the
fork assy is seen starting at the two bearings holding the tube all the way down to the RA lock. Any way I was considering relacement of the fork to the Lx200 fork because most of the lx90 fork profile is made from plastic materials which could be the reason for its instability.
I wonder if Meade has any solution to this problem . One cannot get any advice directly from Meade support .I think that the 12 inch tube on lx90 fork has been designed to facilitate transportation and installation by one person. The result is very bad mechanics which cause visual impossible .
I might be considering replacement of the fork with equatorial mount.
Any way thanks for your advice if I’ll have any solution to the problem it will be reported here.
ari

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users