6 replies to this topic

#1 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I looked at all the pages here and only 1 place had something about cleaning the ccd chip and did not give any instructions I have looked through the DSI instruction book nothing there what I found was from back in 2008 could someone provide some detailed instructions on the proper way to clean the chip in my DSI cam I have a few spots of lint or something and can see it very clearly when the cam is pluged into the computer on live view and think this is the time to clean it...

Thank you for any help...
  • Tambeffex and Invereuse like this

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Have you tried to blow it off with compressed air?

I don't think I have heard of anyone actually cleaning the chip, but it sounds like something needful at times.

Anyone else out there have a solution? (pardon the pun)

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

I did use my vacuum and held it close and it did get a lot of the dust off but there is still some there that is attached very good and needs to be wiped off, Ill wait till I hear of any other ideas...

It is looking like I will need to use the compressed air to get some of the dust off the telescope too..I may try the vacuum there to use the mask as a protector from the nozzle hitting the glass and see if it will get off some of the dust

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#4 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just a note about using compressed air near optics:

If you use an air compressor, note that lubricants for the compressor can get into the air it pumps out, which can end up on lenses/mirrors. There are filters that you can buy that can help, but they do reduce the effective pressure you get out.

If you're using canned air, the propellant can do the same thing. Always use the can upright (do not invert the can) and not too close to the object. Also run it for 4-5 seconds not pointed at the object before you use it for cleaning. Some cans of compressed air specifically say they're good for optics, but I'd still adhere to the above rules.

The idea of using a vacuum is a good one. If you do use compressed air, use the vacuum as well. The compressed air should blow dust up off the CCD, where the vacuum can whisk it away, rather than settling elsewhere in your equipment. Of course, if you're in a dusty environment, the vacuum will just suck more dust into the camera, so best to avoid those sorts of environments.

Regarding general cleaning of the CCD, there are kits you can buy for DSLR cameras that might be worth while looking into. Might be worth asking about the active ingredients in any cleaning solution they use though to ensure that they won't cause problems.

If you're worried about dusty environments or cleaning the CCD yourself, many camera houses will do CCD cleaning and have clean-rooms for the process. They may not be familiar with the DSI, but they've definitely got the facilities and "should" be able to help (for some value of should, depending on how competent they are).

PS: I know someone who accidentally inverted a compressed air can while cleaning a $3500 camera lens. The propellant ruined the coating on the lens. No idea what it would do to a CCD. :-
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#5 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thank you Bill and Cefiar this is good advice, I am looking into somekind of cleaning kit for the chip, not to dusty here but there is some and it starts adding up over time and I see this cleaning is something that should be done once or twice a year I guess depending on the amount of dust/lint on the optics or ccd chip...

Thanks for the advice

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

When not using your DSI, think about putting a cap on the open end. The second hand DSI Pro I I bought did not come with one, but I have plenty of the yellow ones you can buy on-line.

Bill
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#7 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

It has them...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS