• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rvojvoda

rvojvoda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hello to all. I am a rank amateur starting to dabble with a telescope. I live in the southern most tip of Texas and don't have a lot of options open to me for guidance. I have an 8" LS-8 ACF scope and a couple of questions. The other night I setup the scope in my backyard and after it went through the motions of aligning itself I looked through the eyepiece and all I could see was a large round black circle in the middle of it even though I could see on the monitor that it was pointed at a star.

I also tried using the goto feature of the autostar III controller and it kept telling me that the items that I wanted to go to were below the horizon although I knew they were visible. I figured this was a software related issue and downloaded and installed a program called Au2ver6.0.0. When I tried to run it, it gave me an error saying that it was making a request that was incorrect. So my question, what is the proper way to install an update on my controller/scope?

Thanks in advance for any help. Ralph.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hi Ralph,

The scope was probably out of focus. You adjust that with the knob to the right and lower than the eyepiece. Be sure your diagonal (right angle mirror part) is firmly seated in the holder and for starters, make sure you have the eyepiece that came with the scope firmly seated in the hole in the diagonal. You do not have to tighten the thumb screw tight on the diagonal to hold the eyepiece in place, just snug.

What you do is turn the aluminum knob I mentioned (long skinny thing sticking out). If the black spot is getting bigger, then you are going the wrong way. Start turning it the other way and the black spot should be getting smaller. As the spot gets smaller, you will start to see a ring of light around the black spot. The spot will eventually disappear and the light ring becomes the star. Focus with the knob until the star gets as small as you can make it.

Hope this helps and holler back with any more questions.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users