• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bob 56

Bob 56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

I'm considering purchasing 6" go-to refractor when I get home in a few weeks. How does the LXD 75

compare to another company's 6" go-to achro refractor?

#2 AR6

AR6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

The LXD75 is my only GOTO mount, so I can’t comment on others.  I’ve had it for two years, and currently swap it between the Meade AR6, Meade 80mm APO, and Celestron C8 Cat.  It’s dead accurate on GOTO’s when I take the time to properly align it (polar, and 2 or 3 star alignment).  This helps when photographing very faint objects that I can’t see by eye, but they always show up on the camera.  I think it’s impossible to beat for the price!

#3 Guest_ejknight_*

Guest_ejknight_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

For the money the 6in is a great scope. I can compare the Celestron refractor to it and I think that the optics far exceed that of Celestron. The other refractor scopes in this size range were way too expensive for my budget to take. As far as the mount goes it is normally dead on in pointing accuracy and tracking. Construction is a solid plus with this scope.
Again the 6in Meade achro is a heck of a deal.

#4 SRTS1

SRTS1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

I have the LXD55 mount on my 6" refractor.  I haven't had a chance to check out the LXD75 mount that is currently available.  Is the 75 a vast improvement over the 55? 
14" LX200GPS
6"  LXD55
ETX-125

#5 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

The LXD75 mount is a big improvement versus the 55.  The two biggest improvements are the addition of bearings instead of bushings in both ra and dec and sturdy tubular legs.  If you are mechanically inclined the super tuning procedure on lxd55.com, can make a large improvement for your LXD55.  The software revisions also made  a big improvement in pointing accuracy versus that originally supplied with the LXD55.

Russ

#6 SRTS1

SRTS1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Russ.  The only complaint I had was the sturdiness.  The 55 mount seems to shake excessively and that aspect is what I sought to improve.  The looks of the 75 mount seems to indicate that it is a sturdier mount, do you agree?
14" LX200GPS
6"  LXD55
ETX-125

#7 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

Yes!  The LXD75 went through two iterations.  Both had tube legs and are much sturdier.  The most recent version has larger diameter ubes (the same diameter legs as the LX90/200 series). 

Russ

#8 SRTS1

SRTS1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Great!  I guess that will be my next piece of gear.

Chris
14" LX200GPS
6"  LXD55
ETX-125

#9 heavyd

heavyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I just purchased one of these, and so far I am very happy with the scope and mount.  THe optics are phenomenal at least I think.    I am not that experienced with a good scope having only cheap ones in the past so I maybe a bit enthused.

So Far So Good and I would reccomencd it to anyone.

Dennis

#10 MTaylor

MTaylor

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

I just received my Meade AR6 about two weeks ago. Conditions since then have been terrible, lots of clouds this time of year, but I have had one opportunity to look through it (something I rarely do) and from what my eyes can tell the optics are really good! I have it mounted on an MI-250 in my observatory.

As soon as the sky clears I will be posting narrowband (HA, OIII, SII) images using the AR6 & DSI Pro II.
Matt Taylor
Antique Photons Observatory
Claremore, Okla.
DSI Gallery http://www.pbase.com/mataylor

#11 Tourez

Tourez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

Hello all, Tourez here, a newbie to this forum site.  My scope garage houses an 11" SCT GPS GOTO, a 4" achro. refractor and I just purchased a LXD 75 6" refractor tube OTA, and am now looking for a good mount for it.  Currently have  it on a Skyview Pro mount, which is perfectly adequate for the 4", but is not really adequate for the new "yard cannon".  So, I am open to suggestions - I am considering the LXD , G11 and CGE mounts, although the latter seems more than a little  - well - overpriced.  Of course, it may all be a moot point if the cloudy conditions around Chicago continue. 

Thanks,

Rick

#12 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

This is a Meade Site, and I'm predisposed to Meade products and all the help I receive from this group. However, Vixen Sphinx SXD mount is offering a $500.00 rebate on its $2,600 price, so it brings it back to range below CGE... and its a very precision stable equitorial mount. I'm running some of my Meade optical tubes on it using a side by side bracket...  and it can carry up to 50 pounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users