• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sailing70s

sailing70s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I purchased a Meade 2090 , white tube @ 21.5 inches along with a DS 2000 series mount and tripod. Some of the wires that attach the 424 controller to the mount have been pulled out of the plastic plug. Can someone provide me with the following information please ?
The color sequence of the wires into the plug and
Directions on how to open the plug so I can fix the connections
Or directions for opening the 424 controller

I will very much appreciate any assistance you may provide. I purchased the unit knowing the auto guide probably wouldn't work. I am in my 70s, living on Social Security and take pride in recycling items I want to have but cannot afford.

Thank You,

Sailing70s

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hello Sailing70s,

Welcome to the forum!

Can someone with a 494 handset help this gentleman out with a description of wire color orientation and list the order and from which side of the plastic plug you are viewing them? I am away from mine for a week, or I would go get one and do it. I think the wiring should also be the same as on a 497, since both will work on the mount.

Thanks,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sailing70s

I think you will enjoy your scope. There are little things you can do to enhance its performance, which I have talked about in other posts. When you get the bugs worked out and get familiar with things. Let me know if you are interested and I can go over little tweaks with you.

Bill Steen

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

I copied this from Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX Site:

Bill Steen

Autostar #494 Cable Pinouts

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 23:46:32
My Autostar 494 cable pulled out of the 8 pin jack that plugs into my
ETX-60AT. I happened to have an RJ-45 modular jack in my ethernet kit. I
clipped the exposed ends off the 8 wires coming out of the coiled cable
of the Autostar. Then I pushed each wire into the connectors inside the
RJ-45 jack. I was not sure of the order, and could not find pinouts at
Meade, Weasner's or anywhere else. Trusting luck on how the wires seemed
to be lined up was successful. Looking down into the RJ-45 (contactors
on top) from the rear where the cable goes in, the order from left to
right is:

Grey
Orange
Black
Red
Green
Yellow
Blue
Brown

Maybe this will help another poor soul whose jack gets separated from
the cord. I could not even find anyone who sells just a 494 Autostar, so
no telling how much time and money this saved me.

Appreciate your site, Mike.

Regards,
Brian Maxwell

#5 sailing70s

sailing70s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thank You, ALL. I purchased an RJ45 connector and, based upon the post by Brian Maxwell, I re-wired the handset. Alas, no joy.
I think I will try and take off the base of the mount to see if any wiring is loose,diconnected there. So, can someone tell me how to get the bottom unit separated from the arm ???
Not sure that I have exhausted all avenues of help from Meade. Is there a place on the site that has wiring diagrams or some visual representation of the workings of their hardware ???????????

Again, Thank you for your responses and help,
Carleton

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hi Carleton,

Pretty much, we are all flying blind on the inside of the DS mounts. I know quite a bit about them mechanically, from pulling them apart. Not being all that electrically inclined, even though I work for a power company in my professional life, I have avoided most of that. These mounts are made in China and come as a unit with no spare parts being available, other than extra battery holders and different size telescope mount rings to hold the scope on the mount.

You can pull the bottom bell off of the mount, which exposes the printed circuit board and most of the wiring by unscrewing the central bolt, which is under the battery holder. Under the bolt, with your generation II mount (unless there have been new changes) there will be a washer and a radial pin bearing. Under that, you should see the end of the central shaft, which is part of the lower bell casting. Just pull on the lower section and slowly rotate it back and forth. The bell should come off, pulling the shaft out and exposing the insides of the lower section. I have not tried to take the main part of the metal frame away from the plastic housing (have not had a need) and do not know if you can without tearing up the mount.

When you go back together, gently work the bowl back into position and rotate it back and forth to allow the worm gear that you will see to mesh with the bull gear that is mounted on the central shaft. When you put the central bolt back in place, do not over tighten. That can pinch the pin bearing and make it jam. The central bolt really only needs to be finger tight and then maybe just a tweak with a wrench.

One thing you might check out first is the battery carriage or frame that the mount plugs onto. Check the voltage with batteries in it and see what you get. With new batteries, it should be about 9 volts. I have run into troubles a time or two with these.

I am away from my home right now and am working from memory. I am thinking that when the scope is turned on, even without a handset being plugged in, you should see a little red light glow on the front of the scope in the little panel where the switch is. I will try this on one of my mounts when I get home and see. I will not be home until the week end.

As far as the little panel goes, I am remembering a little flap of plastic covering the back side of the panel. You have to reach in from the battery opening to touch the plastic material. You may be able to lift this material and see the back side of the panel for connections.

I have one generation II mount that was given to me just to look at and see the mechanical changes from the generation i version. It was a defective one that has an issue with a sensor in the altitude system. However, it will come on and can be moved around with a hand controller....just no alignment or computerized goto ability. Between that mount, one of my generation I mounts, and the two of us, maybe we can work our way through things and figure out what is wrong.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
  • sailing70s likes this

#7 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

sailing70s. I took my 494 hand set apart and got the wiring color code sequence in my handset. From Left to Right it goes like this.

White, Black, Blue, Red, Blue, Green, Blue, Purple. I took a picture of the wiring. I am trying to figure out how to post it. I will let you know if I figure it out.
  • sailing70s likes this

#8 sailing70s

sailing70s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

I plan to take the handset apart today; will report on the results.

THANK YOU

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ds2000, series 5000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users