Photo

RA lock does nothing, RA moves no matter what I do.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 twilightmoons

twilightmoons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but on the bottom of the mount, I noticed some white/grey... stuff. It looks like corrosion from wet batteries, but it's hard and doesn't crumble as easily. I don't think it was there when I got the mount in June of last year.

The RA lock doesn't seem to do a damned thing, either. I unscrewed the handle, then the clutch, and the threaded bold doesn't move at all - should it?

It doesn't matter if I "lock" the RA or not - the RA moves when I rotate it, a bit stiffly, and not as "loose" as when I release the DEC clutch. In Alt-Az mode, it's not a big deal, but in EQ mode, I can't use it at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • skiliaBam likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

I would call customer support at 800-626-3233. I am assuming that your scope is still under warranty.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

THats hard to say.If under warrenty id call Cust service.It could be grease or battery acid.If no longer under warrenty you could lay the scope on its side and pull the bottom place to inspect.But befor I did that do you rn your scope on batterys???If so pull the battery cover and inspect inside there first to see if it looks as if there is any acid in there.If there is it will definatly need to go back to Meade for repairs.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 twilightmoons

twilightmoons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

Definitely not battery acid. I run it off of batteries when in the field, but none have leaked, and I remove the cartridge when I'm not using the mount. Lately, it's been eating them like mad, so I got a Celestron Power Tank for it. At home, it's always off of the AC adapter.

I was one of the first to get mine shipped in June, so it's still under warranty. I'll try calling them in a few hours... but it would be really nice if Meade entered the 21st century and had a support email address they monitored... Hint hint...

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

(smile)

Bill Steen

#6 twilightmoons

twilightmoons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Well, I figured out a bit more about it...

I still don't know what that crud on the RA clutch is, but whatever it is, it's leaked out of the bottom of the mount and locked the piece in place. I can see what's it's supposed to do now, but I don't know why it leaked. I called into Meade this morning, and they'll take it back for repairs. I've got a star party this weekend, so I'll send it back on Monday.

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear that you have to send it back, but that is what warranties are for.

Have fun at your star party!

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users