Photo

30 mm UWA from the weekly deal arrived today!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

We had a ring on the doorbell. Went to answer and nobody was there, just a box not quite a foot cube. Inside that, was another box. I opened that one, and found another black, fancy box that said it was the 30mm UWA 82 deg eyepiece. This third box inside the other two was a little bigger than a six inch cube.

I opened this last box and....Wow!! That thing is big! I cannot try it out yet with cold, wind, and clouds. (The groundhog and the calenday are wrong! It is still winter!)

All I can say is that I need to watch out handling that thing, I would not want to drop it on my toe! It is really beautiful.

I have a plastic tool box that I rebuilt to hold a bunch of eyepieces. There is room for four 2-inch eyepieces in it...or so I thought. The 30 mm and the 24 mm, between them, take up a lot of the space. I do not think I can squeeze the 20 mm in when I get it. I will have to revamp the box.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the only sunny day this week. Hopefully, that will extend into the early evening as well.

Bill Steen
  • Freflefly, Cysleclociove and Hoobiaovagigo like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Mine arrived today also and I am stuck on a job in north GA till this weekend I hope and can't wait to get home to use it..

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I get to take mine out in a few minutes! :D

It is amazing how kid like a grown man can be!

Bill Steen

#4 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

This is so true we are just big kids but I love it and hope I never grow out of it...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#5 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Bill, do you have the 24mm? IF so, can you let me know how it compares to the 30mm?

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

So far, both are very good eyepieces. There is a proportional difference in size and, naturally, true field of view.

In my LS 8, the 30 mm is on the edge of MY optics parameters. I had some trouble with the center going darkish with an f/6.3 focal reducer. Without the reducer, I would get a tinge in the center if I did not have my eye in the right place. With the 24, I did not have that problem with the same setup. If I put an extender in line with the focal reducer, then I had the trouble with the center going blackish.

With just the eyepiece of either in the telescope and no focal reducer, I tracked the spikes on stars (from my cataracts) all the way across the field and did not see any change until I got right to the edge. There was definitely more with my cheap focal reducer. Cannot blame the eyepiece for that.

In general, the 24 mm is more forgiving with the small pupil diameter I have, but the 30 mm does pull in more sky for wide views. I think someone with younger eyes would do better with the 30mm than I do.

I have a five inch f/8 reflector that I am going to pull out and try with the 30mm. I think the view with that scope will be very impressive as a wide field view and have a pupil size well within what my eyes can handle. Something like an f/7 six inch reflector would be optimum for someone with small pupils and this eyepiece.

I am glad I bought it and it will be a good tool in my literal eyepiece tool box. It will be necessary for viewing the whole of Orion's Sword, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite views, along with a f/6.3 focal reducer. I just have to be careful with eye placement. The 24 mm cannot get the whole thing in with just the f/6.3 reducer. If I put in a 1.5 inch extension, then the field is really wide and so is the pupil size. I am thinking the 20mm will give about the same view as the 30mm, with the difference being the 1.5 inch extension. The difference may be how the optical combination does with the extra correction in the focal reducer that my ACF scope normally does not need, but can use some with the extra focal reduction.

I have a healthy respect for both the 24 and the 30 mm. They are both good pieces of work. For my situation, the 24 mm is simply a little more conservative and better for general use at the expense of TFOV.

This all sounds kind of mixed, because what I am thinking is a little mixed, at a knit picky level, because of what I am trying to do with the various combinations.

One bit of disclaimer: I think someone with better eyes needs to make any serious comparison, since mine are not in the best shape right now.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you too much.

Bill Steen

#7 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Good info, I just may order the 30mm!

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#8 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Mine came today. Quite an eyepiece. Here is a picture of the box sitting in the fork of my 8" LX200.
And the eyepiece mounted on the scope. Quite massive.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3270371W.jpg
  • P3270376W.jpg

Russell Hurlbert

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yes, they are big!

Something I did not state in my last post when I was using the 30mm in my LS 8 was that the Moon was full, I have enough light pollution that I can see only Polaris in the Little Dipper, and three neighbors in eyeshot had back porch lights on. Possibly, if I get to a relatively dark site, There will not be any darkening in the middle of the view with just the scope and eyepiece and possibly with even a f/6.3 focal reducer.

Bill Steen

#10 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, mine came on Monday...and I am 1200 miles away. :-(

Skies in New Mexico have been running 50/50 I hear, but next week I will do the full comparison between the 30mm and 24mm with my 10" LX200. Very, very curious how they compare. I will say I already love the 24 mm. Wonderful views.

I love my Meade 5000 HD-60 eyepieces, however these UWAs are quite amazing. I am finding collecting these eyepieces from Meade quite addicting.

Oh, and in I heard in 2-3 weeks I will be able to test them out on my new 14" LX850. The wait will soon be over.
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

#11 ka1bqp

ka1bqp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

My UWA 24 mm saw first light last night. The view is truly amazing! Of course now I'll have to pick up a few 2" filters.
Matt,

8" LX200ACF
DSI
Canon Rebel XT DSLR

#12 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Well, I ordered the 30mm tonight. Was on the fence since I already have the 24mm. What's it going to hurt!

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#13 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Just got home from a cpl of jobs in NC and GA opened the box from meade and O my this thing is huge I had no idea the 30mm EP would be this big im going to have to get an extra weight to balance the scope now.

The HD set I bought are great as were the UWA and the SWA ones I got to use them a few nights in NC...

Now can't wait to look through this softball size EP...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#14 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hello All,

Tonight was quite an experience!

The last couple of days I have been testing out the 30mm Eyepiece. It is clearly a work of art. Views are stunning, edge to edge in my book! You can definitely see some wide field goodies.

Tonight, I started with M42, wonderful view! 20 minutes later my daughter went to check it out - no where to be found. Hmmm. So I move the telescope back to it. 30 minutes later, out of the field of view again. Hmmmmm. I thought I had aligned my telescope quite well.

Then I wanted to catch the Pleiades before they set. The 10" LX200 moved towards it, slowed down and MADE A HORRIBLE GRINDING SOUND and then slipped! YIKES! Could not make the horizon! Then I realized the 30mm Eyepiece is so heavy the telescope was way of balance and could not make it!

Lessons learned:
* There are weight limits even for this bigger telescope.
* I will need to use counter weights with the 30mm eyepiece and likely should with the 24mm.

Postscript to the story - telescope is fine and tracks nicely with the lighter HD-60 ep! Back to the Meade.com store to buy some more goodies!
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

#15 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

I just got my 30mm in today, and as everyone else has mentioned, it is huge! I didn't think it would be that much bigger than the 24, but I was mistaken. Andrew, I really hope that I do not need to counter weight my scope to use this EP!

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#16 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Daniel,

You might have to. Your scope is a bit heavier than mine, but not by a whole lot. Just be careful - my 10" LX200 Classic was clearly out of balance with the 30mm eyepiece and the 2" diagonal. I won't use it again until I get the counter weights.

It is a wonderful ep to look through though. It really is a port hole into the heavens! And it has the mass to match!
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

#17 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

At least te LX-200 has a way to mount weights below the tube. My old camera is just about as heavy as the UW 30mm EP -- I had to use the weights for it -- the gears are plastic, and need to be somewhat in balance...
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#18 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

I could just throw on my dew shield :)

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#19 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

I wish you had not said that, how I will have to buy a dew shield for my LS 8. ;)

Bill Steen

#20 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Now you know with me living in New Mexico I have no need for a dew shield here, however the humidity is pumped up around 14% today.

Still, time to purchase counter weights...
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users