Photo

ETX 80 update for the #494 Autostar handset.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ahaysom99

ahaysom99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Updated my ETX80 autostar unit and the msg stated: this update will not update your handset!!!
The update was successful but nothing doing on the handset.
Is there a way to update it? Do I need to upgrade the handset to #495 (?) or something else?
Thanks

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

The 494 handset does not have the memory capacity to be updated and is not programmed with that capacity.

There are no downloads available for it.

The 497, 497 EP, and AudioStar are the ones that can be updated and can work with an ETX.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

A #495 should work as well. The #495 with the latest firmware update is equivalent to a #497 handset.

-John

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

John,

I have read and heard about the 495 handset, which I assume was the predecessor to the 497. I have never seen or used one. I am just curious, how does it differ from the 497?

Bill

#5 ahaysom99

ahaysom99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for the info folks.
Looked up available hand sets from Meade and found the 497 model. It doesn't state in the description that it works
specifically with the ETX80 but it does state it works with the ETX90.

Can I get an expert opinion whether or not it will work with my ETX80 before I spend $150?

Thx

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

As far as I know, all of the comands that come out of a 494 to the telescope are the same as with a 497. In all the scopes that I have used, the two handsets were interchangable. I am very confident that if it will work on an EXT 90 it will work with the EXT 80. Anyone else able to corroborate this?

If you are in doubt after more replies, assuming that there are some, call Meade Customer Support. I the regular Meade website, www.meade.com, there is a tab for customer support. There is a 1-800 number there.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

#7 cerickson

cerickson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBig Island of Hawaii

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

A #495 should work as well. The #495 with the latest firmware update is equivalent to a #497 handset.

-John

The 495 and 497 are identical inside. They were loaded with different firmware images for different telescope models. Downloading a 497 firmware image to a 495 will turn it into a 497.

I hope this helps.

#8 cerickson

cerickson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBig Island of Hawaii

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

As far as I know, all of the comands that come out of a 494 to the telescope are the same as with a 497. In all the scopes that I have used, the two handsets were interchangable. I am very confident that if it will work on an EXT 90 it will work with the EXT 80. Anyone else able to corroborate this?

If you are in doubt after more replies, assuming that there are some, call Meade Customer Support. I the regular Meade website, www.meade.com, there is a tab for customer support. There is a 1-800 number there.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

An Autostar 497 or Audiostar can be used to update any Meade scope currently using a 494 hand controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users