• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:31 AM

If you want to run the scope under The Sky X you don't need Meade's ASCOM junk.  The Sky X will communicate just fine to the scope, I've been controlling my LX850 12" for a year with The Sky X and I have very few issues.  Every once in a while it seems to act weird, but a power reset on the scope and all is back to normal.

#42 Canopo100

Canopo100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

Agree with you Handyman CT, many features of the mount can by controlled by TheSkyX, actually, I'm doing the same.
But, how you control the focuser?
I'd like to automate focusing via FocusMax or other and is not possible without a full driver.
In the other hand, TheSkyX is an expensive soft, not accesible to everyone...

#43 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

Canopo  I'm using an Optec TCF Lynx 3 completely removed the backend of the scope and screwed the 3" focuser on, it all works perfectly controlled by The Sky X.  Throw that Meade focuser out, it's pretty much useless for astrophotography, can't remotely control it, no temperature compensation, poor backlash.  At present I can control all of my setup with The Sky X and I don't even have to be at the scope, I can control it from inside my home.

#44 nucdoc

nucdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

I was read this post with interest and was using Sky-x to communicate with my mount, then one day my star lock died.  Out of frustration I tried ASCOM to see if it would work with PHD2, without explanation it suddenly started working.  Turns out there was a windows update of the Prolific USB driver, the one on the Meade site is dated 2010, the new one is dated 2015, I am certain this was what allowed me to talk to my mount, I am now guiding with PHD2 not problem, all ASCOM functions seem to work, and still waiting form my new star lock.

http://www.prolific...._id=225&pcid=41

Mark

#45 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hi Mark,

I sent in an email to see about this problem.  I was told that Meade does not have any ASCOM drivers posted on their website.

I am having trouble with internet access at a hotel where I am staying and cannot get the link I was given to a ASCOM Driver for Meade Project that can be gotten somewhere else.

When I can get to my personal email, I will post that link.

I remember than Meade contracted someone to build an ASCOM link and that was posted at one time in its beginning form.  However, I do not know anything about it in whatever form it has now.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#46 nucdoc

nucdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hi Mark,

I sent in an email to see about this problem.  I was told that Meade does not have any ASCOM drivers posted on their website.

I am having trouble with internet access at a hotel where I am staying and cannot get the link I was given to a ASCOM Driver for Meade Project that can be gotten somewhere else.

When I can get to my personal email, I will post that link.

I remember than Meade contracted someone to build an ASCOM link and that was posted at one time in its beginning form.  However, I do not know anything about it in whatever form it has now.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Its not the ascom driver, it is the device driver for the USB-RS-232 cable that they sell, the manufacturer is 'Prolific', but Meade sells it in their packaging, and on the meade website.  The driver is on the Meade site, but it is the old version

Meade product: http://www.meade.com...al-adapter.html

Link to driver on Meade website:  USB to Serial Software (Click to download)

It is this driver that allows the computer to talk to the mount, and only with the new driver can the computer talk to the mount and use ASCOM for functions.

With the old driver my computer could only use some functions of the meade 'Autostar Suite', as an example I could use the virtual control panel in Autostar, but if I tried to use the PEC tool I would get a communication error.  All the communication errors went away with this new driver, I now can use, all ASCOM compatible functions, including Sequence generator pro, PHD2, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users