#1 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Are drivers for the LX850 mount being written for the ASCOM Platform? I asked on the ASCOM Yahoo Group -- a return post said I should be asking Meade...
  • brewNurlfrara likes this
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#2 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

It is being worked on as we speak.

#3 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

So, are we any closer? Is there a scope selection that will work for the LX 850 until the new driver is ready?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

I use the LX200GPS driver set. I think I also tried "LX200 and Autostar" and "Maxmount" and those worked also. All use the same basic protocol.

#5 BrokeAstronomer

BrokeAstronomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

The LX200 drivers are not full featured. Many applications require manual settings and work arounds to get them to work with the classic generic drivers. Even the Max drivers, which allow certain features, then break others. The only way to get this all working as it should is with real LX850 ASCOM drivers.

I've spoken with a few people who in the past have written ASCOM drivers for hardware and they all agree that it should not take very long at all to get them done.

I don't really expect better from the old Meade but now that they've been bought out I would *hope* that some progress had been made.

Obviously not. Someone named Ralph posted in the ASCOM yahoo group that he was working on them and would have them available by the end of September. He later mentioned he ran into a few small issues he needed to work out and would have them out soon Now we are at the end of October and still nothing. I don't know who to blame but this is getting stupid.
  • michaelptifid64 likes this

#6 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

One thing about the guy writing the 850 drivers (and most of the work done in ASCOM- he (they) do this work on a volunteer basis if the manufacturer doesn't.

It would've been a good thing for Meade to have done this, but a volunteer stepped in - we should be thankful that someone else has the knowledge (but maybe not the cycles) to pull this off.

#7 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

One thing about the guy writing the 850 drivers (and most of the work done in ASCOM- he (they) do this work on a volunteer basis if the manufacturer doesn't.

It would've been a good thing for Meade to have done this, but a volunteer stepped in - we should be thankful that someone else has the knowledge (but maybe not the cycles) to pull this off.

#8 BrokeAstronomer

BrokeAstronomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Meade does not support in any way people who try to help. They have burned too many bridges. Really sad. Celestron on the other hand continues to build bridges. Native support in The Sky X which is now included with all Celestron mounts. Native support with PEMPRO. Full featured ASCOM drivers released within weeks (If not sooner) when Celestron started shipping the AVX mount.

#9 Backroadrider

Backroadrider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

Has anyone heard anything more regarding LX850 ASCOM drivers? It' been almost a year since the "they are being worked on as we speak" claim by the administrator above. I have not been able to get the LX200GPS ASCOM drivers to work at all with the LX850. However, I did get the Meade MaxMount ASCOM driver to partially work with the LX850 in MaximDL. Seems like this would be a priority for their flagship mount.

#10 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Last I heard the guy working on it was working through some installation issues -- can't really complain, he is doing it by himself in his spare time, and he is not Meade...

#11 SpacePolice777

SpacePolice777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hi Glenn this is Glen still stuck in New York :-[  :-[

I went to your website Great Set Up  :D  :D

Wow I am Impressed wish on day to escape this City and move to some clear Skies

Did you ever find out about the Ascom Drivers for the LX 850?

Clear Skies Glenn

#12 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

The guy writing them was out of the country for a while, said he would get back to it soon.
As I said, he's on his own, so a bit of breathing room is called for.

#13 Backroadrider

Backroadrider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

So, I don't want to start a thread of Meade-bashing, but enough is enough already! The LX850 has been shipping for a year and there is still no dedicated ASCOM driver for the mount. I certainly don't blame the independent programmer mentioned above (and thanks to gspie for the quick response) as it is not his responsibility to drop what he is doing and write a driver for Meade's flagship mount. That said, I am placing the crosshairs of blame squarely on Meade as, at least in my opinion, the fact that there is no available ASCOM driver for this mount is an affront to sensibility. As anyone who upgraded their controller's firmware to 1.1g (after it was released last summer) knows, the LX200GPS ASCOM driver will no longer work after the upgrade because it is looking for a version number that is higher than 4.X. Unfortunately, the driver sees 1.1g and thinks your controller is running an old version of firmware and refuses to load. (I would be thrilled if anyone knows of a workaround for this!) As I mentioned above, the MaxMount driver works SOMETIMES, but it is a rudimentary driver that does not allow access to any of the mount's features and also likes to lock up without warning. The bottom line is that currently the only software that I am aware of capable of controlling the LX850 is Sky Safari Pro (using their native LX200GPS driver) which is great, but it does not do what I need it to do. Having said all of this, if anyone at Meade is listening, I will ask the question that I asked back in January one more time: WHEN CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE LX850-SPECIFIC ASCOM DRIVERS?
  • michaelptifid64 likes this

#14 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2751 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have copied your post into an email and have sent it to someone I know in the Meade organization.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#15 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

I think the guy writing the driver is in Alpha testing -- some bugs to work out. It would be nice to see Meade supplying one so the other gy doesn't have to guess at what makes it tick...

#16 Backroadrider

Backroadrider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thanks to MstrBadgr & gspie for their quick responses!  Hopefully someone at Meade can provide some insight as I am pretty sure I'm not the only customer who is looking forward to a full-featured LX850 ASCOM driver. :)

#17 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Meade should realize that providing an ASCOM driver for their scopes would help sales. Not many people will buy an advanced scope so well suited to Astrophotography if they can't remotely control it. True, you can play with the hand paddle to control it, but many people prefer to do that remotely.

#18 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2751 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

I just had an answer to my email I sent to someone I know about an ASCOM driver.  

Here is the official statement for now:  "Meade Instruments is aware of

the lack of an ASCOM compliant driver and is in the process of developing one."

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#19 laszlog

laszlog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

Here are some thoughts..

I run a Mac, and can control the LX850 and on both a windows and Macintosh platform. Quite we'll using a quasi ASCOM routines.." Use software bisque's The Sky X to control the scope ( using all the latest updates ) and then select the LX 800 as the mount. The is a plugin on the ASCOM site for the sky x scope driver to be ASCOM Like... I've used it tohave the sky x and Maxim DL Talk to one another..

#20 Canopo100

Canopo100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Laszlog,

I've The Sky X (so telescope control is ok) but I couldn't make it talk to Maxim DL !!

Could you, please publish exactly what you've doing in order to make them work together ? 

I would like to know (step by step) what are the plugins and/or driver to install, is what sequence, configuration parameters in TheSky and Maxil DL, etc., etc. 

Had you made other software talk to the mount, like Alignmaster, FocusMax, etc.?

Thanks in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users