7 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

I went to my storage unit yesterday and dug out my LPI that I had purchased years ago and never used. I could not find the disk that came with it, but I have AutoStar 5.5 on my computer and had loaded up the most current version of Envisage that my XP machine can take. I knew that any written instructions that I had would be way out of date with the newer versions of software, so I decided to just play a little and see what happened.

I got it hooked up to my LS 8 last night and just played with it for a little while from the garage. The thing worked first time after just sitting in a box all these years! Took me a while to figure a few things out though. I finally pointed the scope at a street light about a half block away. I arranged it so that I could see part of the globe and one side of the reflector over the globe in order to give me a variety of different light intensities. I have a lot to learn about getting one of those things to focus properly. I did figure out right off that I needed to take my two inch diagonal off and use the 1 1/4 inch one. The little parfocal gizmo would not work with the adapter in the two inch diagonal. The set screw in the parfocal ring kept hitting the adapter, cocking the eyepiece I was using.

Ended up with the cutest semi-fuzzy black and white image of half of a street light globe I ever saw!

That was fun!

Bill Steen
  • CatFaiday, Tambeffex, Invereuse and 1 other like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

You brought back some old memories. When I got my 8" LX200 GPS in March of 2005 I was so excited. One of the first things I did was set up the LPI in the daytime and took pictures. I got setup in the kitchen (seemed to be the thing to do at the time) and opened the window and aimed at a fence through the kitchen window. I got to digging around and here is some of the ones I took.
fence1.jpg fence2.jpg

When I got this big idea for scale.
fence3.jpg

At some point night fell and I got this shot.
Jupiter2.jpg

You kind of brought it all back to me. The LPI was a lot of fun but it could be very tricky to get focused.
Hope you enjoy it.
Russell Hurlbert

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks, Russel!

I think I am going to make myself a Batinov Mask, or at least I think that is the name of the thing you stick in front of the scope to make focusing easier. I probably do not have it spelled right even if I am on the right track for the name.

I also picked up a DSI Pro (version 1) on Cloudy Nights, with a cooling fan. I was luckily the sixth person to view the add and immediately sent an email. I have a set of the Meade color filters that were part of this weeks "Deal of the Week" coming with my 30mm eyepiece. I bought them to use with the LPI, but they will also work well with the DSI Pro. They were supposed to ship yesterday, but their truck did not make it to the UPS office. The package went to UPS today.

I intend on playing with both the LPI and the DSI Pro to see what I can do with each.

For anyone interested:

When they show up, either on Cloudy Nights or on eBay, the LPI normally goes for $50 to $60. A DSI (I)(Color) sold on CN for $120 yesterday with it being posted as sold within three hours of the initial posting. My DSI Pro was a bit steep at $175 with the cooling fan. But a new fan goes for $40 plus maybe $8 for shipping, so the actual imager was really about $125 to $135. The rare DSI II or DSI Pro II that shows up will probably sell pretty fast in the $200 to $250 range. I have not seen a DSI III or DSI Pro III offered as second hand, so I do not know about those.

Bill Steen

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Russel,

By the way, I stole your picture with the little flowers and the 22 long rifle bullet in the fence. I like that.

Bill

#5 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

It's amazing what people will do then there are excited with a new piece of equipment, trying to use it for the first time. Like setting up a astronomical telescope in their kitchen, trying to see something through the window, when it's not even dark yet! I don't think I ever showed to anyone before. Glad you liked it Bill.
Russell Hurlbert

#6 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Bill,
How about some kind of update on the LPI and DSI? How are things going with them?
Russell Hurlbert

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Well, I had to table that for a while. Got busy with work, had stuff come up at the house, had to work over an NG 70 I am fixing up for my oldest grandson who just turned eight. Plus.....we have had maybe one decent night a week, on average, since I dug out the LPI. We have had enough rain that if I try to use my astronomy chair in the back yard, the legs sink into the ground (err, mud with grass stems in it) I have a DSI Pro I now as well.

I almost have the NG 70 finished. I bought one that was still sealed in its box on eBay, that had a low price to save money. It had a couple bad gears in the mount, so I did not actually end up saving any money since I bought another mount. I do, however, now have a nice little extra mount and tripod that works if I turn the knobs, but cannot turn the scope by hand. (metal gear replacements do not work as well as I would like) I have an older 60mm f/15 refractor that was desperately in need of a mount and tripod....so guess what?

For whatever it is worth, I think a NG 70 is just about optimum for a second grader, when Grandad goes over it and puts some better eyepieces with it. The design is great and the first three I bought were about as perfect as the factory could make them without doing things that would jack up the price. This last one is the exception and I suspect it was one of the very first ones built and has been sitting around for a while.

The LPI and DSI experimentation is coming, just had a rash of higher priority items crop up. As soon as the ground dries up some and I get more than one clear night in a row, I am going to take a few days vacation and play with things.

When I get some results, I will at least post a story. It will probably be entertaining, depending on what happens.

Bill

#8 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Now that I stop and think about it, I should have known something like that was going on. With all this weather we have all been having lately.

For whatever it is worth, I think a NG 70 is just about optimum for a second grader

I would think that second grader has it pretty good and has a good Granddad to give him one. My first scope was a 60mm and I didn't get it till I was eighteen. But what you can see with a scope like that can hook you for life. I promised myself back then that one day I would have a nicer one. Thirty years later I bought my LX200.

Ok, I'll be looking forward to your adventures.
Russell Hurlbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users