Photo

Filter 911X OIII Nebular fitment question.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I purchased one of these filters when they were on sale, and before I purcased it, I noted that in the description it said that it would thread onto the rear cells of Meade LX-series mirror-lens telescopes.

It will not thread on to the rear of my LX. Did I read that wrong?? I feel kind of dumb ordering it.

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

They have had two different versions. One of them screws onto the back of the scope (I bought one like that a couple years ago) and they have another that screws into the threads of an eyepiece. I think the one that was on sale recently was the type that screws onto an eyepiece. I almost ordered one, but did not since I do have the other kind.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Bill, while we are on this subject, just what can we expect from this filter? I bought this also to try it out on an eyepiece in order to see if I want the kind you have. What has been your experience with it please?
Daniel, don't feel bad, I think we are going to find it was worth the 19.99 we paid for it.
Russell Hurlbert

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Well, I got to thinking about it and I think I have the N version, which is more of a broad band filter that works well for light pollution. The X is a narrower band. I think what you will see is a tint to the color of the view, if you can see the color, and you will have quite a bit of any light pollution knocked out. I found mine to be a help in seeing some very non contrasty galaxies that had evaded me before. I have quite a bit of light pollution and even Messier Objects pretty much fade out.

Let me do a little research and I will get back with you.

As far as worth goes, I am thinking those things sold for around $100 at one time, so you are getting your money's worth. The trick will be to find out exactly what they are good for with your eyes, your scope, and your location.

If someone else has that exact filter, do not hesitate to chime in.

Bill Steen

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I just checked. You are correct in that the 911X should screw onto the back of your LX. I had it going the other way around. The 908 is a 1.25 inch filter, the 910 is a 2 inch filter, and the 911 screws onto the back of your SCT and it says onto the back of some refractors. The letter is what tells about how the filter will behave. The really broad band one has a B, the middle one has an N, and the really narrow band has an X. The filter you purchased is going to block out all kinds of light except the two bands for oxygen III. It should darken, but really enhance contrast on nebula, such as the Orion Nebula and the Helix. The sales sheet says this thing can show you more detail with light pollution than some people can see with a dark sky and no filter. Don't know what to think about that statement, but I bet you will see a more contrasty image. It will probably depend on what exactly you are trying to see that will determine how well this filter will aid in a particular situation.

The image you will get will be dimmer than what I see, but some nebula should stand out more than with mine.

Daniel, if your filter will not screw onto the back of your SCT, then you need to call them. If you have a 2 inch eyepiece and this thing looks really big, then you might try threading it into your 2 inch filter and see if it is actually a 910X.

Bill Steen

#6 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Russel, this is a different one than you ordered. I actually orderd that one (last weeks sale) too, this is the Oxygen III one.

Bill, I tried screwing it on everything, no dice. I may call CS to see if they can assist. I have a feeling, I will need an adapter, and if that is the case, I will scrap it, and get the 1.25 version.

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#7 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Sorry for the confusion guys. My blunder. You are right Daniel, I ordered the Series 4000 908B Nebular filter, the one from last week.
Russell Hurlbert

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Daniel,

Is this the 911X that you ordered? Is that what it says on the rim?

Bill

#9 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yeah that is the one.

http://store.meade.c...r-closeout.html

Attached Thumbnails

• P1070336.jpg

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

It should screw on to the back of any SCT. If it will not on yours, and you can screw on a diagonal, then there is something wrong with the threads. I would call Customer Support and see if they have another one.

Bill Steen

#11 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

So I decided to give it one more try, and glad I did.

I didnt relize the microfocuser adater screwed off the rear cell becuase it was so tight (I actually thought it was part of the rear cell). Wish I would have sat down with this before Friday. I had just replace my Dec gears last week and setup the scope for observation Friday night. I really wanted to check out the reults of the filter!

There is always next week, hopefully!

PS, that Series 5000 UWA 24mm eye piece is quite awesome.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1070352.JPG
  • P1070351.JPG

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#12 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Daniel,

I was really hoping something like that was the problem. But, you never can tell, there is the possibility of a manufacturing glitch.

Glad to hear the problem is solved.

Bill Steen

#13 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Daniel,
By the way, if you don't mind, have you had a good chance to test out the filter and how do you like it?
Russell Hurlbert

#14 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

Not yet Russel, the plan to setup tonight, since it looks to be clear out.

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#15 ka1bqp

ka1bqp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

So I decided to give it one more try, and glad I did.

I didnt relize the microfocuser adater screwed off the rear cell becuase it was so tight (I actually thought it was part of the rear cell). Wish I would have sat down with this before Friday. I had just replace my Dec gears last week and setup the scope for observation Friday night. I really wanted to check out the reults of the filter!

There is always next week, hopefully!

PS, that Series 5000 UWA 24mm eye piece is quite awesome.

The three set screws really tighten down the adapter ring. When I added my micro focuser, I put the ring on hand tight. Once the screws were tight, you couldn't budge the assembly. When I want to use my focal reducer I have to use the SCT insert on the micro focuser. I haven't tried the 24mm with the focal reducer, using that configuration. From the reading I've done, you can run of of focusing range. Next time out, I'll try it.
Matt,

8" LX200ACF
DSI
Canon Rebel XT DSLR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users