24 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes, they just HAD to put the 30 mm UWA eyepiece in the deal of the week at half price!

They are taking all of my money!
  • Cefiar and RICHARD FOX like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hey Bill, I know what you mean. I am still waiting for my 24 mm and the diagonal from last week to ship. But since they are ordered and the 24 is so close to the 30, I think I will probably wait (and hope) for one of the Xtreme Wide Angles (maybe a 14 mm or 20 mm) to go on sale. But it is sure hard to just pass up that 30... It really is hard.
Russell Hurlbert

#3 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Since I already have the 24mm, it seems a bit silly to buy the 30mm. Though it is tempting...

-John

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well, I have this thing about whole sets. But, at normally $300, it is over my limit for an eyepiece. I used to have a limit of $100 until they started the thing with the 24 mm and the diagonal. I then raised my normal limit to $150 and ordered the 20 mm at the end of my feeding frenzy where I bought the three 1.25 inch eyepieces. By then, I had stuck the Hirsch f/6.3 focal reducer I have on my LS 8, then the adapter for the diagonal, the diagonal, a moonlight 1.5 inch extension piece, then the 24 mm eyepiece. I got a marvelous view of Orion's Sword with a field of about 2.3 degrees. The only problem was this was an overshoot for my pupil and the nebula area goes a little too dark. That is when I ordered the 20mm.

Now, they put out the special for the 30mm. I think I can get a 2 degree TFOV with everything except the extension piece, and get about a 5 mm pupil size, which is what I am expecting with the 20mm and the extension piece. I will compare the two images and see which one looks the best. I am thinking the 20mm will since it will be using up more of the extra correction in the focal reducer that my ACF scope does not need.

With the 24 mm and my cataracts, I looked for changes in the spikes on stars. I could make it until the last little bit near the edge of the field before I saw any detectable change. I think I am getting about a 2 degree TFOV that is pretty much correct. I plan on making comparisons with different combinations to see if the warpage around the outside is from the scope and corrector or from the eyepiece. With this eyepieces being good, but not something like Zeiss, I expect something going on around the edge, just don't know how much.

I had been curious about what the 30 mm would do, but was not willing to spend that kind of money to find out. With the special, they just barely got the price within a range that I could not resist even though I know I should not really buy one. There is a bit of agony with the purchase.

Bill

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Also, I plan on making a somewhat rounded triangular plate to fit underneath the existing tripod brace that has the three 1.25 inch eyepiece holes. The new piece will have three, two inch holes in it for the three 2 inch eyepieces. That will give me a place to put all six eyepieces in the series, leave it all together in the house, then just pick it up and carry the whole rig outside.

If I want to collapse the tripod, I just rotate the normal brace out of the way and over the top of the new 2 inch holes. The in-between part of the new holder board will dip in enough to allow the tripod legs to be drawn in all the way.

I plan on sending Meade a picture when I get one made and tell them they need to have something like that as an optional part. I think it would encourage people to buy two inch eyepieces, the diagonal, and other such things for the scope.

Bill Steen

#6 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Wow, you have been on a feeding frenzy. Yea, a set would be nice, but a little much for me. I have the 8.8 mm and when it ships, the 24 mm. But a nice Xtreme 14 mm would give me three really nice eyepieces in a nice range. I may just wait for something like that, but I do have a week to think about it.
The eyepiece plate sounds like a great idea. I think you are on to something.
Russell Hurlbert

#7 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Bill, et. al,

I have been oogling over the 30mm eyepiece for quite some time - the reviews have been very good. At first I thought, well I don't want to spend TOO much money on eyepieces, so I compromised and got the HD-60 eyepieces which I might say are very good in their own right.

Then I buckled and purchased that 24mm/diagonal special deal.

The view was profoundly different. Heck the HD-60s with the diagonal was a wonderful view too. With the 24mm - AMAZING!

So then I was really oogling over the entire set including the 30mm. In a couple of weeks I was going to pull the trigger.

Then came the deal of the week. There was no question, I purchased immediately. Plus I am looking at getting some exercise with this eyepiece!

Between my great experience with Meade support and service, and their products I will probably go on a buying binge.

Still, this deal was a stunner in my eye (no pun intended!). This will get a lot of people's attention for certain.
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

#8 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I am currently undecided on this due to the fact that I aslo recently got the 24mm, but I am sure come next wed, I will probably end up purchasing it. :P

Which means that I am going to have to stop telling the wife that spending money to save money is not saving money, unless I keep it secret!

Daniel
--------
LX200GPS 12"

LX80
ETX90

#9 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Well Bill I ordered the 30mm a few min ago I just noticed it in the daels page, Ill just say this if it gives me the views all the other one are giving me worth every dime at this discount price you just can't beat it...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#10 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Terry has it right - order the eyepiece!

The views are simply stunning with this series, and here the 30mm will give you a wider field. The quality of the ep is fantastic - and the price is just too good to turn down.

I have the 24mm, will soon have the 30mm. I might just finish out the series.
-- Andrew
World Explorer,
Satellite Development,
and all that...

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Mine is ordered and the status says something like "Assigning for Delivery." I am not quite sure what that means.

I can think of two ways to make an eyepiece plate. One way puts it up snug against the underside of the brace with holes for three 2-inch eyepieces in the open spots between the legs. I am thinking the winged holding nut on the underside of the brace will have to be taken completely off anyway, if I want to collapse the legs, just to get the brace enough room to turn. It is almost that way now. With that being the case, there really is not a reason to cut slots for the legs in the plate, just take it off.

The other way would be to add a bit of an extension onto the end of the threaded shaft that goes through the brace, then make a round plate with both 2-inch and 1.25 inch holes in it, then make it so that it can be rotated on the shaft extension, like a lazy suzan. The only possible problem is that the eyepieces might be too low. They would have to be low enough to pass under the leg brace. They might, however, be more accessible than having to reach across the tripod to get an eyepiece. I am thinking I could get three 2 inch and three 1.25 inch in a twelve inch disk and then have the three in the brace left over for a few real planetary eyepieces.

What do you guys think?

I had a real thrill with the 14 mm UWA. I normally see very little, if any, color in images. I am not sure what the deal is. Sometimes, a particular combination of eyepiece and telescope works like magic and I can see color in something. I have never really seen much color in Jupiter, with anything. The other night, I really had it show up using the 14mm in my LS 8. I could see red in the bands and some bluish spots elsewhere. It was wonderful. Right now, the 8.8 and 5.5 have a little too small of a pupil size for my eyes and it looks like someone is shining a flashlight into the telescope with the glare on the cataract material. With the 14mm, I am not getting that and I can see Jupiter comparatively very well.

If I put in a focal reducer, then the shorter focal lengths do well. I just have more glass in the way and I do not think I have quite as good resolution. Right now, both the 14 and the 24 are real winners for me with or without a focal reducer. I expect the 20 will be also. The 30 mm will probably do well with a focal reducer with no extension and with the telescope in its natural focal length. The 20 mm is on back order and probably will be for a while. I think all the stores have that one on back order.

From what I can observe, with the focal reducer alone, I am getting about f/6.3 from the scope. With the 1.5 inch extension tube, I am getting about f/4.3. At f/4.3 or 860 mm focal length, I am really pushing the optics and I bet I am loosing something along the way, but it sure is fun pulling in the whole Sword of Orion in one view, with room to spare.

Bill Steen

#12 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Bill, for what its worth, I think you are well on your way and would be way ahead of anything I could suggest, but what comes to my mind is the huge size of those 2" eyepieces, especially the 30 mm. Remember to give yourself plenty of space for those things. And they are heavy too.
Russell Hurlbert

#13 ahopp

ahopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Mine is on its way.

Tony
60mm Focal (First Telescope)
Orion MiniGiant 9x63
Mallincam Xtreme EXview HAD
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L

#14 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

I expect I will need to get at least the 30 mm here before I start trying to make a plate. I might have to take a 1 inch or bigger dowel rod and drill it out to make a bit of a sleeve to go over the metal shaft extension, then drill an appropriate hole through the disk and epoxy the two together to keep the thing from sagging.

The more I think about it, though, if I were to make a board that pushed right up against the tripod brace, the big two inch eyepiece might make it hard to reach in and get the smaller ones that fit into the brace. I expect the disk will need to be a good four inches or more below the brace and will need to be made out of 3/4 inch plywood.

The only real question in my mind is whether or not I will kick the thing when I am sitting on my adjustable chair and if I can reach the eyepieces from a normal observing position.

When I get there and figure it out. I will take a picture and post it.

Bill

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well, the status of my 30 mm changed this evening to "Shipping Soon." I am not quite sure what that means either.

Bill

#16 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

At a guess (and it's only a guess) "Assigning for Delivery" probably means it's being taken off the shelf and packed. ;)

"Shipping Soon" probably means it's packed and waiting to go out with the next courier pickup/postal run. ;)

People love making stupid names for things like this.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#17 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

According to the 'Help' section on the website:

Assigning for delivery:
We are assigning your order to the nearest Fulfillment Center for delivery. When your order ships, we will send you an email with tracking information. If we have difficulty processing the order, we will contact you to resolve the problem.

Shipping soon:
Your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed. Your order should ship within the next business day. When your order ships, we will send you an email with tracking information. If you do not receive this email, you can go to your Account to check your order status and view tracking information.

But I must say this, I had an order that was "Shipping Soon" that stayed in that status even after it shipped. And I never got the email with the tracking number. I discovered it shipped only by checking the Account online. (But it does mention that possibility) By the way Bill, I also bit the bullet and ordered the 30 mm. Funny how we can find all the justification we need then something goes to half price isn't it?
Russell Hurlbert

#18 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yes, justification is easy then. After all, look at all the money we save! :D I don't know if you have ever heard that from someone else, but I have. ;)

I had the same notification thing with my 24mm and the diagonal. That is why I said "Whatever that means." I was out of town and my wife was not expecting a package. I was watching the "Shipping Soon" on the website and finally sent an email inquiry. The next day, I received notice that the items had shipped, a reply to my email that the products had shipped and been delivered two days ago, and a phone call from my wife that she found a box sopping wet from rains we had for the last couple of days on the front step. I had an email conversation with Carlos and we are all good now. I found out from a different source that they were having all kinds of problems about then. I personally think they got swamped with the weekly deals.

BTW, I found out from Carlos that my 30 mm is going to ship tomorrow and he is going to make sure I get the tracking information. Whenever my 20 mm gets unbackordered, I will have the full set. I sure do like them.

Bill

#19 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yea, that is a fantastic price... and I guess turn about is fair play. ;)
But what an awful experience with the package. Oh my, that must have been devastating. I can't imagine. My diagonal and 24 mm will arrive tomorrow. After hearing your story, I think I'll set up a chair and wait outside till it shows up. :( But all said and done, those eyepieces are just about the best you can buy. And barring anything happening to them, we will have them from now on... So I am feeling better about it all the time.
Russell Hurlbert

#20 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

The way the items were wrapped up in bubble wrap and tape inside, nothing was hurt with the rain...just had a soggy box. I think they could have been floated down a river and not got the eyepiece or the diagonal wet. I suspect that particular deal of the week went over too well. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.

Anyway, I think they are catching up and are learning from the whole experience.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users