3 replies to this topic

#1 kljw

kljw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi
has anyone got a field rotator mounted to an LX200 GPS? if so, is it any good? thinking of purchasing one for deep sky image work rathger than a wedge.

many thanks.

Keith

#2 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

The field rotator is not a great solution IMHO...
1) it adds to back focus, and may be an issue
2) a wedge is much better for long exposures with a CCD. The rotator 'simulates' a polar alignment. Why simulate when you can easily get the real thing with a wedge?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#3 kljw

kljw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

Hi
i can see the advantages, but as i do not have a perminant mount, and i need to wheel my scope in and out when using, the effeort of trying to polar align each time, is a little off putting. although having said that, once done, and providing the scope is placed in the same position, it should be close each time.

many thanks.

Keith

#4 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

If you are going to do Astrophotography, the polar alignment is a necessity - even if you use the rotator - it has to rotate around the polar axis.
I don't have a permanent setup either - I just have the alignment process memorized, and so it each time I set up.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users