8 replies to this topic

#1 Numptyworld

Numptyworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hi guys,

I have a Meade LX90-EMC which has given me great pleasure over the years. I have recently got back into astrophotography and have kitted out my guide scope with an Orion Starshoot IV and PHD/Guide dog to track. I have a Canon EOS 450D at primary focus and have achieved passable results of solar system objects and easier deep sky objects with up to 5min exposures. I am driving everything from a laptop away from the scope with USB repeaters/extenders. I have bought an equatorial wedge to stop field rotation as I extend exposure times. I am getting into pre and post imaging and am about to try stacking of multiple exposures.

What is killing me is focusing.... I can see nebulosity and other packages have cunning routines for optimal focus, but as far as I can see, the Meade Zero Image Shift-Electronic Micro-Focuser 07080 may not be compatible with my scope and Meade seem to have no alternative for me to try. Can anybody advise me if this item will actually work (happy to solder or mechanically tweak). I don't want to waste $249 if it cannot be done. I have the autostar controller, but am not bothered about focus from the handset, I want to do it from the laptop when shooting photographs only.

Hope someone can help with this or any other tips. I can manage without autofocus on the sight/tracking scope, but if there is a simple/cheap option for 1 1/4" fittings, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

James

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

You might try a company called JMI. They build a lot of things like what you are wanting.

Bill Steen
  • Numptyworld likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 lx90orange

lx90orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Side issue, how did you connect the StarShoot to your finder? Is this the Solar System Imager IV?

Cheers,
Stacy.

#4 keba

keba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I use the zero-shift focuser with my LX90GPS, with a separate hand controller. No way I know of to run it through auto star handset or PC km unless you can get your hands on a #909 accessory port module, which are out of production, and difficult to find on the secondary market.

#5 Numptyworld

Numptyworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi Stacy,

Around the eyepiece on my focuser, the rubber part allows me to push the starshoot in and it stays in place (just), but it is loose. Once in place, it works fine and I have the model that allows focus. It is less than ideal, so I plan to install another focuser if I can find one cheap, or replace the whole thing with another finder scope. Ideally, I want to get both primary and finder automated, but it is tough!

I have bought a zero shift focuser from astromart and am currently using a remote controller helicopter control to send voltages to the unit which is testing my soldering skills, but it looks like it will work.

Have been trying to find a port module, but can't seem to find one. JMI looks like the next step. This is all a lot more challenging than I thought when I set out...

Regards

James

#6 Numptyworld

Numptyworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Thanks keba, I found the same thing...

#7 Numptyworld

Numptyworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Dear Bill,

This solves my issue. I have chopped up an RC controller and can swap polarity and voltage to the focuser. this gives me manual control, but the potentiometer I am using makes it a little crude.

JMI do USB control, so I will buy one of their units.... Huge thanks.

James

#8 Numptyworld

Numptyworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I now have a Tupperware remote handbox, variable speed controller thanks to a rare rainy Dubai weekend. Will try to convert to USB at some point after some trials, but for now, happy with the results....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• MistrBadgr likes this

#9 JSKCKNIT

JSKCKNIT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi James,
I use the Meade Zero Image Shift-Electronic Micro-Focuser 07080 with my LX90 and control it using the Audiostar controller. I had to order a 909 Clone, which can be found here: http://www.astrogene...s_909_clone.htm . I can also control the focuser through autostar suite. I haven't tried other programs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users