4 replies to this topic

#1 Earl

Earl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGarland, TX

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I received my LX90 this past week and I noticed a drifting problem that I cannot seem to resolve. I calibrated the motors and setup auto align which allows the GoTo feature to work properly.

What happens is that after I center on an object (Jupiter, Sun - with solar filter) the object drifts down several inches before leveling off and tracking commences. While the Alt/Az mount that comes with the scope does not track as good as my LXD-75 mount it is acceptable.

Any suggestions or ideas that can help me resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-earl
Earl Foster
--------------------------------------------------------------------
LX90-12" ACF, SolarMax 90mm, PST, ES-127MM
www.mysolarimages.com
www.sidewalkstargazer.com

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hi Earl,

You stated that you calibrated the motors. Did you train the drives as well? What you describe sounds like a drive training issue. If you did train the drives, you might try it again a couple of times for each drive, just to make sure the kinks are worked out. I normally do this at maybe 100x to make sure I do it as precisely as I reasonably can.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Earl

Earl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGarland, TX

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Bill ... Thanks for responding to my post. I went through the Train process and it seemed to stop the dropping. During tonight's sessions the scope tracked "spot-on" for while then all of sudden I had to start manully slewing to keep the object in the FOV. I performed the Train and Calibrate again and it started tracking again but after a short period of time (10-15 minutes) it stop tracking again.

I also noticed that after leaving the controller alone for a while that when I went to adjust the object in the FOV the telecope would jerk causing the object to suddenly shift. Then the the telescope would start slewing properly.

-earl
Earl Foster
www.mysolarimages.com

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Earl,

I would call Customer Support on their toll free line. For the last year or so, a human being has answered directly after just two or three rings. Possibly, I have just called at the right time. They will ask you the same question(s) that I have. If you have gone through the training excersize several times and still have this problem, I think they need to know about it. Either they know something I don't know, or there is something wrong.

Keep us posted as you go along. That information helps us help others.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 Earl

Earl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGarland, TX

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I was planning to do after the New Year but thought I would pose the question here until then. Thanks for you help.
Earl Foster
www.mysolarimages.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users