1 reply to this topic

#1 hjustin

hjustin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hello, all.

I purchased the new Meade Series 5000 80mm refractor and an LXD75 mount last weekend and had a few questions.

I find it difficult to achieve proper balance using the tripod mount that comes attached to the scope. I'd like to remove this and use mounting rings. I'm just not sure what to purchase. I've seen the Losmandy guide rings recommended but I wonder if guide rings are appropriate since this is my only scope. Do the guide rings make it more challenging to align the scope with the mount? It seems like mounting rings would be better but I'm not sure what size would work. I know I will lose the ability to rotate the focuser by going with rings but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

At the same time, I'm also beginning imaging with a DSI C and DSI Pro. I look forward to sharing images as I progress. I've enjoyed reading a lot of the articles and forum posts many of you have contributed.

Thanks for your help!

Justin

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

Hi Justin,

I have not tried the guide rings in combination with the LXD55 or 75 mount, but have lots of experience with these mounts.  Your concern that aligning the mount with the scope will provide much more difficult (maintaining consistency) than a mounting ring/dovetail plate is valid and I would opt for the later.  Perhaps other users can weigh in for you.

Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users