• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ky1duck

ky1duck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

after updating to a3s4 on my audiostar controller i am having problems doing a alinment 2 or 3 star 1st star centers no problem. but will not put the other 1 or 2 stars anywhere near the eyepiece (even with a 80mm st and 26mm eye piece). and looking through the controller i see german mount traning but cant find any info on how to do it. dose anyone have an ideal on how to preform this task. dose the mount need to be in alt/az or eq, ect. thanks.

robert

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Robert,

If it works on that scope like on others, when you push the button to train the drives, you then choose which drive to train. You then pick one.

The handset will then ask you to center the scope on some object. I normally pick something pick something like the fork in a tree or some other object that is really recognizable. I then push the "enter" button.

The scope will move in a direction related to that drive. You will push the appropriate arrow key (it tells you which one) until the object is back where it started in the view. You push enter. The scope then travels in the other direction, and you again return the object to the same spot in the field and hit "enter."

You will then go back to the spot where you selected which drive you wanted to train. You can then select the other drive and train it.

For best results, use a higher power eyepiece, maybe something like a 9 or 10 mm. This allows you to be more accurate in your movements and judgement as to when to stop moving the scope when you are putting the object back into its starting position.

There may also be a place in the menus where the scope calibrates its motors. If you hit that, the scope will try to move the scope a little bit with both motors, one at a time. It is simply checking the amps and setting its alarm points. It probably will not help with what you are experiencing, but would not hurt to do.

Sometimes, with my mounts, I will run them around some, then go through the drive training procedure up to three times in a particular direction, then go to the other. I do not know why, for sure, even though I can guess, but I think it does a better job of training. Either that, or I get used to the procedure and I do a better job.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 ky1duck

ky1duck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

no it dosnt work like most this mount dose have one that works like you say but it also has a differnt one for german mount traning.and none of the books talk about it.

robert

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

If you are in a position to do so, call the toll free number to Meade Customer Support. (800-626-3233) They are the most likely to have an answer for you.

Also, since this is a brand new mount, I would make sure they know you are having trouble.

Bill Steen

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Robert,

I contacted someone who works on this board system. He said that contacting the customer support people would be your best bet. The people he would ask are gone this week. If you are not located where you can call the toll free number, let me know and I will call for you and ask.

Bill Steen

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Robert,

I called Customer Support on another issue and asked them about your question. I was told that you can do drive training only in alt-az mode. You will have to change to that mode, do the drive training, then go back to equatorial. If that does not work, I would definitely call Customer Support.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users