5 replies to this topic

#1 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Long story short, I purchased a second hand LXD55 mount and tripod to mount my Galileo DX-135 tube on. No biggy I thought. Started making
my own Dove Tail type adapter for the LXD, and the DX-135. Then the horrifying thought. (I am an above average fabricator in my mind), but I am not a machinest. "What are the odds of my tube lining up w/ the Reticle, or the Polar Alignment?" I don't think I can do this without drawing
specs, and a CNC machine. "What I am doing probably will not line up." Correct? "Or am I making this more difficult that it really is?" Oh Man. And, what is the small diagonal thumbscrew next to the locking knob where the Dove Tail should go? Thanks.

#2 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Have to reply on my own post. hehe That is my current clamp is static. Non adjustable. Now, if I have two of those 3 position screw adjusting rings, I guess I could make that work. Any thoughts anyone? Am I trying to be to smart by half? I'm learning though.

#3 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Again commenting on my own post. Perhaps if I build my dove Tail adapter with enough slack in it, that Diagonal thumbscrew can adjust my tube to align with the Polar Alignment, and the Reticle? Does this seem like reasonable thinking? Ya'll must realize I am in uncharted space here. Thinking of all possible scenarios. Maybe that is why I am tired.

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

when you add the dove tail on the mount it will be paralell with the mount if you machined it straight.The thing will be mounting to dovetail on the scope and keeping it paralell to the tube.it may take some playing with a level and making small adjustments but it should be able to be done.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Mark, I think I can handle that, but I DO NOT understand what I am reading about setting up the Polar Aligment. The instructions say; "Move the telescope until Polaris is superimposed on the graduated area of the Reticle." What? What am I supposed to move. I have moved the scope, I have moved T-handles, and I cannot percieve anything moving anywhere. I have finally cobbled together a Tube and Ring mount for this LXD55, now I am trying to figure what the heck I need to do to get all this stuff aligned. Is there a 'BASIC' say 10 Step
or however many steps procedure to go by? This is going to be much more complicated and time consuming thatn I anticipated. Not that I am not up for it, I just need some 'BASIC' starting Pointers. I'm not getting much out of the instruction manual.Hope I don't sound like a crybaby, but at the moment I am a little lost. Thanks Mark, any guidance would be appreciated.

#6 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Found some online videos about Polar Alignment. I get it now. I know what to move and why. Think I get it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users