#1 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

When I first started using my new LightBridge 16 I was a little disappointed but not surprised that I could not focus my Orion Binoviewers even with the screw-on Barlow that came with it. Unrelated to this I bought a 2” 2x ED Barlow from Oceanside Photo & Telescope to use with the 2” 26mm eyepiece that came with my telescope. To vary the amplification of the Barlow up to about 4x I used an extension tube that still left me with a bit of available in-focus. This got me wondering whether I could reach the focus with my binoviewer using this Barlow rather than the screw-on Barlow. Much to my delight the answer was yes! The amplification in probably about 5x and I’ve got about 1mm of in-focus left to spare. I also need to add about 3 pounds of weight to the lower tube assembly to counterbalance the added weight to the focuser. I spent the evening enjoying some of the best views of the moon and Jupiter I’ve ever had. This just adds another element of enjoyment to this wonderful telescope.

-John

Attached Thumbnails

• LightBridge 16 Binos-1.jpg

• healenrerculp likes this

#2 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Cool look like you get better views too...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#3 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Oh my gosh. We finally had an evening of fairly good seeing and the view of the moon was stunning, absolutely stunning. Jupiter was also unbelievable. Binoviewers remove all of the eye strain and you can just relax and soak up all the detail. Binocular vision also let's you see more detail than monocular vision. The moon was just a wonderful expanse of geographic landforms. It was a thrill to watch the sun rise over the flat expanse of the floor of Plato! Jupiter showed fine structure that I've only been able to see with images taken with my SC8 at f/30. The moons were also clearly little globes. An added benefit of the binoviewers is that they knock the brightness down a bit making the moon easier on the eyes and improving the contrast on Jupiter. I can't wait to see Saturn through these!

Fun stuff.

-John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users