11 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamline Observatory

Dreamline Observatory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hi There,

Since this RCX space was empty, I thought it would be great to get things started!  I just recently purchased my Meade RCX400 12" in Jan 2007.  I also bought 2 Meade DSI's; DSI Pro to use a auto guider and the DSI Pro II as an imager.  I am quite new to astrophtography.  I also recently built a new observatory with a 8ft Explora Dome.  Still waiting on delivery of my wedge.  I really like the upgrades to the RCX from the LX200.

James
Dreamline Observatory - NB Canada  ::)
James

Dreamline Observatory
46° 16' 10.00" N   64° 38' 00.74" W

#2 angel9262

angel9262

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:58 AM

Just in the process of purchasing a second user but brand new 12" RCX400 from a seller in Florida. Its going to wing its way to light polluted Siongapore for some real tough work.

How does yours compare to the LX200?
I know this is most probably asking someone to compare a Porsche to a ford focus, but I'm just wondering if it is going to live up to its expectations in such polluted skies?

Any feedback you can offer, hints on making the experience easier, what parts let the scope down (I have seen many second user scopes for sale where worm gears have been replaced, collimating screws removed and replaced by other parts) What are your experiences with the scope?

Thanks for listening. I'll post my reviews when I receive and set it up in Sunny S'pore

Steve

#3 lambertr

lambertr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hi Steve,

I had the 10" LX200GPS scope  but upgraded it to the 10" RCX400 scope and I love it!
I try to use it everynight, weather permitting. I live in New Jersey, about 30 miles west of New York City.

I have a tremendous view of the NY skyline but as you can imagine, I am probably in one of the worst light polluted areas ever. I have added a Hutech Light pollution filter recently but even before that I've been getting some pretty good images.

I've only been dong this for a year now so I am far from an expert. If you would like to see some of my photos, you can see them at the address below:

http://www.lambertastronomy.com

-Bob 

#4 SRTS1

SRTS1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

I envy all of you that have those RCX's.  Do any of you have some astrophotos that you have taken through those magnificent scopes?
14" LX200GPS
6"  LXD55
ETX-125

#5 ron hyatt

ron hyatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hi Bob,

Boy if I could get photos like yours I would be the most satisfied guy in the universe!  Can you give more details on how you are achieving such success, such as mount, kind of camera, exposure times.  Your focusing secrets.  I have a RCX400 14" I use in light polluted skies of Salt Lake City.  Would like to push this scope to its limits.  What little I have been able to do with is so far has been nothing short of exceptional.  As new to astrophotography I am at the beginning of the learning curve.  Have both the DSI II pro and color cameras.  Any hints you may pass along be most appreciated. 

ron

#6 Zorack

Zorack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Astrodude did a full DVD with the setup and Alt-AZ and Polar modes and bloopers of his LX200GPS 12" scope(Only thing he didn't add was collimation,which I wish was included).  I wish someone would make a video of them setting up a RCX in either Alt-AZ or Polar mode from start to finish,I would pay for such a video(wonder why Meade didn't make a DVD of setting up the 16-or 20" RCX200???). Anyways congratulations on getting your 12" RCX. I've been slobbering over getting one to replace my 10" classic(only owned since July '06). BTW if anyone knows where a video of a RCX400 floating around on the net would ya link me to it(or more??)

#7 lambertr

lambertr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the compliment. I am also just a beginner. Two of the most helpful things I did to improve my images was to invest in a ultrawedge (to polar align my scope) and added a guide scope.

I'm using a DSI II Pro on both my guide scope and on my RCX.

I purchased some extremely helpful training DVDs from Adam Block and Donald Waid.

- Bob

#8 panharley

panharley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:45 AM

Hi U'all:
Great to see all of the new RCX"s out there. I am also a new RCX owner, (14") Just recieved in April. What a difference from my 10" & 12" Classic LX's. I live in Hilton Headd Island, SC and we are lucky we have almost no light polution.
I am just starting to get my DSI set-up, so I will report back as the process unfolds. I do how ever have a couple of questions for you guys adn would be thankful for any help.
James, where did you find the Explora Dome you used. I may have a situation here where I can set one up on at my home, but need to do some research first? Any information on where I can look up specs. etc would be very helpful.
Bob, You mentioned the DVD's from Adam Block & Donald West; can you point me in the right direction to find the information on them?
Looking froward to staying in touch with everyone.
Happy star gazing.
Butch

#9 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Bob ,
  I just finished looking through your web site , very nice imaging .  Have you ever tried comets ?

Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
13.1" Coulter Dobsonian--4sale, 
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
DSI  2 , LPI , Orion SSAG
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#10 Zorack

Zorack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the compliment. I am also just a beginner. Two of the most helpful things I did to improve my images was to invest in a ultrawedge (to polar align my scope) and added a guide scope.

I'm using a DSI II Pro on both my guide scope and on my RCX.

I purchased some extremely helpful training DVDs from Adam Block and Donald Waid.

- Bob

I bet that's for using a DSI and not a training DVD for the RCX *sigh*

#11 ewoktech

ewoktech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

Hi Bob,

Where did you get the DVD's from, i am down in New Zealand and we don't have anything here to help us.

i have had some trouble getting my 12" rcx up and running...  ::)

"I purchased some extremely helpful training DVDs from Adam Block and Donald Waid.

- Bob"

#12 autostaretx

autostaretx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

> Where did you get the DVD's from...

Here:
http://www.optcorp.c...ixel Count&st=2

and here's a specific one: