The first challenge to solve when installing a shroud on a Lightbridge is keeping the material from sagging into the light path. To solve this problem I attached a set of binder clips to the upper and lower tube assemblies to provide attachment points. These are located between the truss hard-points, 3 for the top and 3 for the bottom. Through these I ran a heavy string. The string included a small bungee to maintain mild tension. This gives a crisscross cage over which you can drape your shroud. The binder clips work okay, but I may look for either larger clips or installing a set of small hooks for my string.
I previously made shrouds for my truss Newtonians from Ripstop Nylon. These looked great, but they absorbed moisture, gaining weight and sagging. Although they don’t look nearly as good, I’ve since switched to making shrouds from the largest, cheapest trash bags I can find. These are cheap, lightweight, and don’t absorb moisture. If they get dirty I just cut a new set. For the Lightbridge 16 I found that 55 gallon drum liners from Ace Hardware work very well. I cut these to 40”-42” inches in length and they are about 4” larger in circumference than the tube. The shroud is attached to the telescope using binder clips, 3 each to the upper and lower tube assemblies. The extra material is overlapped on the under side of the tube.
A Simple Lightbridge Shroud
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users