3 replies to this topic

#1 brownte

brownte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hi,
I've been trying to figure out what accessories I need to be able to take pictures with my Nikon D90 and my mother-in-law's 114EQ-DH4. So far all I've been able to gather is that the 114EQ uses a .965" eyepiece which will not work with the universal 1.25" T-adapters and rings. But one review I saw for a .965" T-adapter said that your pictures will come out with bad vignetting around the edges. Is that true?

I've also been unable to determine if I will need an additional Barlow lens or if I can use the 3x Barlow that came with the 114EQ. It seems there may be an issue with being able to focus my camera due to the shorter focal length. Basically,all my research is leading to me to more questions and no answers. Anyone else use a DSLR with one of these older telescopes?

Thanks for any help.
Tim Brown

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2879 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hi Tim,

I do not do imaging, but have an idea. Get a lens holder for the scope that uses 1 1/4 inch eyepieces. The one place I know that has something is Telescope-Warehouse.com. Other places have adapters, but this company knows about what fits older models. I would call Bill Vorce, the owner, or email him with your model number. I think his email address is scopehed@ frontiernet.net, but look it up on his website. There may also be listings on eBay for such an adapter, but I think contacting him will help you get the right thing the first time.

I believe he has one that is actually for 2 inch eyepieces with a 1 1/4 inch adapter for it. You can then get the appropriate T adapter rig for your camera. Regular telescope or camera stores, either real ones you walk into, or on-line stores will more likely have the particular adapter for your camera. However, Telescope-Warehouse may have the part that goes onto the telescope itself.

There are several other sites on eBay that sell such things as what you need, but Telescope-Warehouse is the one that comes to my mind as most likely having your particulars.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Using the basic setup will work the same as a 900 mm lens on your camera. Using a barlow lens will give you additional magnification as needed. With higher magnification, longer exposures will be needed.
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 brownte

brownte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I did finally manage to find an eBay seller who carried the 0.965 camera adapters and T-ring mounts. Hopefully those will work out and I can start snapping some shots. If it doesn't, I'll certainly give your guy a message.

#4 texwarhawk

texwarhawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Did you ever get any pictures using this set up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users