#1 Mr. Alvaro

Mr. Alvaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

I´m new at this, so here is the question:

How can I operate remotely a 497 from windows 7 to do alingment, etc..

Is there pc software that shows the info that appears on the 497 screen on a pc and also makes posible to send the info for the alignment, etc. procedure?

Thanks!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi Mr. Alvaro,

I will bow out to any of the true experts on operating with a computer. Yes, there are any number of computer programs that can operate through a second small plug on the 497 handset. The cable has a small phone jack on one end and a DB9 plug on the other. The one I have is 25 feet long.

You can also use this to update the handset software, when a new version comes out.

The AutoStar software has the ability to communicate with the handset and make the scope move around. For alignment, when you turn the scope on, you still have to look through the eyepiece to see if the star is visible.

I know Meade software works on Windows XP, which is what I have. I am not sure if it works on Windows 7. There are other programs that can work with other operating systems to communicate with the scope. I believe AstroPlanner v2 will work with Windows 7 and some versions of the Apple operating systems. I am sure there are many others that people on this forum use.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mr. Alvaro

Mr. Alvaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks!

I remotely operate the telescope with the 497 using Ascom and Stellarium already. I have an e-finder so I can locate the star using a web cam & pc but I still have to use the 497 handbox to set the date, time, etc . in order to do the alignment.
So, is there a soft that shows the info (menus,etc...) that appears on the 497 handbox and is also able to send data to the 497?

Thanks again!

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

You might try the AutoStar Suite. I am not sure if it will run with Windows 7, but if it will, push F9 or look under "Telescope", then "Protocol" and then "Remote Handbox." This screen seems to have all the buttons on the 497 handset. I am not sure if it will do what you want, but it might be worth a try.

If you do try it, please post your results so others will know.

Also, most mounts have a time chip built into them and have a little silver battery inside. It is normally near where other batteries go, at least it does in my DS mounts. If that battery is dead, then the time chip will not work. The only mounts that I know for sure do not have the time chip in the mount are the DS-2000 LNT mounts that had it in the finder with a cord going back to the mount.

Other than this, I do not know, but will ask.

If anyone else knows, please speak up.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 mjgalindo

mjgalindo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have AutoStar Suite running an a Windows 7 Laptop, I get the handbox controller up and it works fine except for one issue, so far. This is on a DS2114. I'm sure it will work on my LXD75 as well.
The handbox window shows on the pc as a black window but my problem is that no handbox information is displayed in this window.
The first line of the handbox displays in the "margin" of the window at the top. i.e. in the picture frame around the black window but the second line shows nowhere. Does anyone have a solution?
The text to voice works. it's fun but the old computer voice leaves a little to be desired.
Also, if you disconnect the F9 handbox control, and connect via the serial port under the protocol menu, you can get a simpler handbox control window that DOES display both lines of text but no menu structure like the other handbox. Does anyone know why two implementations of the hanbox functions? Were they supposed to be used for different purposes?
Thanks in advance,
Manny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users