5 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd Joly

Lloyd Joly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHuntington Beach, CA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

First, I apologize for posting a customer service question, but short of driving down to Meade headquarters, I'm at a loss of what to do. I bought a refurbished LX90 10 inch telescope in March 2011. Excitedly, I set it up and nothing powered on. I called customer support and shipped it for repair. I recieved it back in about 5 weeks, and it powered up with batteries (my AC power supply was on backorder).

After setting it up, I found that it didn't track correctly. This is my first telescope that can track objects so I wasn't sure if it was something I was doing or a hardware problem. I received it back about 2 months later, but it still didn't track. I called customer service, followed their instructions by setting landmarks and seeing if it would go back to the landmarks I set. It did, and I sent it back to repair again.

Another couple of months went by, and I received it back. It still didn't track. An Astronomy night was scheduled for my daughter's school in late February so I waited to talk to someone from the Astononomy club. The event was cancelled so, in March 2012, I called customer service and sent the telescope back for repair again. It took until July before it was fixed. I was told that they found two bad circuit boards. I checked and it finally does track corrrectly. My telescope spent a total of about 8 months in repair.

Here's the problem. After sending it in four times for repair to finally get it working, I don't feel comfortable that it will continue to work without problems. My warranty period has ended. I spent a month calling the customer service supervisor who didn't return my calls. (I don't want to post his name but will let you know privately if you need it.) Finally I spoke to a rep who told me that since I bought my telescope more than a year ago, I'm no longer eligible for the extended warranty.

Can someone please let me know if I have any other options? Thank you.

Lloyd Joly

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Lloyd,

I am not sure what to tell you myself, but I can notify someone else who may have an answer.

Possibly, someone else with an LX-90 needs to get with you and maybe actually see what your scope is doing.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I would scroll through all of the settings on the hand controller and scope base:
1) Ensure the N/S switch is set properly (if you have one)
2) Make sure your tracking rate is set properly for the types of object you are tracking -- the Sun, Moon, Planets, and DSO's track at different speeds.
3) Make sure your scope is facing in the correct orientation -- the Base Controls must be on the North side of the mount.
4) Make sure the clutch is properly set.
5) Do a 2-star alignment.

Yes, these are probably obvious, but that's all I can think of to affect the tracking
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#4 Lloyd Joly

Lloyd Joly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry--I wasn't clear. The LX90 is working correctly now. The last time I sent it in to repair (repair #4), I told them that I wanted to pay the difference between what I paid for the refurbished telescope and a new one and get a new LX90. Instead they repaired this one. If I had known I would have had so much trouble, I wouldn't have bought a refurbished telescope. My fear is that it will stop working again.

What I want to do is to purchase the extended warranty, but customer service said that I'm no longer eligible because I bought the telescope more than a year ago. I didn't realize that I needed to purchase the extended warranty less than a year after my original purchase of the telescope. If it has another problem, I'm out of luck and will need to pay for shipping and repair.

I wanted to check with this forum first. If needed, I live only about 20 miles from Meade's headquarters in Irvine, CA and can drive there. I don't know a way to reach them by phone (except for customer service in Mexico).

Thanks again for your help.

#5 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

I guess I read too much into the original problem, and didn't realize they finally fixed it...
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#6 Lloyd Joly

Lloyd Joly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

I sent a message to the eCommerce manager for Meade Instruments. Here's his reply, "We work with a third party company on the extended warranty and their rules stipulate the warranty extension packages must be purchased within the original one year warranty period. Once the original warranty is expired we can no longer put a Sky Assurance policy in place unfortunately." I rarely purchase refurbished items or opened boxes to avoid this type of problem. It wasn't worth the money I saved.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users