Photo

First Telescope - Meade 4501 - Missing Parts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fradster

fradster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi there,
I am complete newby to astronomy and telescopes, but it's something I've always found interesting so I picked up a Meade 4501 telescope and tripod at a garage sale the other day. I knew it was missing parts, but I only paid $5, so it wasn't a big deal. Besides, I am an engineer, so I can probably build something for it even if I can't buy the parts any more.

Anyhow, I know I am missing the viewfinder and an eyepeice, but I think I am also missing something else that I hoping some of you can help me with? Basically I have a 2" dia focusing tube with a threaded end, but nothing after that (check out the photos below). Since all the eyepeices I can find say they are 1.25", I am fairly certain I am missing a cap of some sort that screws onto the focusing tube and holds the eyepeice...right?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks in advance,
Fradster

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2884 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi there! Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, the focuser is missing a threaded piece that holds the particular size eyepiece. The threads on these older telescopes are a little different than the newer ones, I think.

The person you need to talk to is Bill Vorce. He has an on line store called Telescope-Warehouse.com. He also sells on eBay. On his website, you can find his email address and send him a message, telling him what you have. He may have such a part. Otherwise, you may need to purchase a different focuser and possibly drill new holes for mounting screws.

The size of scope you have is a classic. I have owned three different ones in that size and have enjoyed using them.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 fradster

fradster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hey Bill,
Thanks for referring me to...another...Bill ;D

I appreciate the help, hope I can find a solution! I have access to 3D CAD and some 3D printers, so even if someone can tell me what I am missing is generally suppose to look like/do, that would be a good start! Haha.

Yeah, seemed like a really cool scope - good to hear that I didn't pick out a lemon!

Thanks again for the response and help - I appreciate it.

Best,
Fradster

#4 Zeus

Zeus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

You get that for 5$?

God damm it you're a lucky man.
  • fradster likes this

#5 cfransen

cfransen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi Fradster,

I bought the same telescope here in Phoenix at a Goodwill store. It is missing the same eyepiece that you described as missing on your scope. Any leads as to where I'd get a replacement would be helpful. I also would like to find an instruction booklet to go with it.

Regards,

Carl Fransen

cfransen@yahoo.com

#6 fradster

fradster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I ended up going to Telescope-Warehouse.com as MistrBadgr suggested.

Telescope-Warehouse.com had a shop, but I ended up e-mailing the owner directly and he took really good care of me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users